We've Got A Live One!

9:45 AM

      Tyler Kimble knelt in front of the Playstation console, jiggling the cords extending from the back of the machine. When this didn't achieve the desired result, he looked up at the two boys standing next to him and said, "Well, the speaker is officially fried, guys."

      "Crap, there's no way to play this game without the sound," his friend Seth grumbled. "So now what are we supposed to do?"

      Before Tyler could respond, another voice spoke from behind them, "Well, since your epic adventure seems to be on hold, maybe you can go get my leaf blower."

      Tyler turned to see his father, Lee, standing in the kitchen doorway, looking at him expectantly. "Get it from where?" he inquired.

      "Your uncle borrowed it a couple of weeks ago, so I'm guessing that it's most likely in his garage," Lee replied. "So if you could go pick it up while I work on that broken storm window in the den, I can get everything done before I take your mother out this evening."

      "Oh yeah, I forgot it was Valentine's Day," Tyler said. "Yeah, I guess I can go get it. Did you call him to find out for sure where it is?"

      "No, he's working today, so there's no need to bug him with that. He doesn't mind you going over there, you know that."

      "Hey, didn't I hear him say something awhile back about having an old boombox that you could have?" Seth interjected, jerking a thumb in the direction of the third boy in the room. "Maybe if we pick that up, too, Mike here could rig it to your Playstation so we could actually hear. That's his thing, y'know."

      "Worth a try, I guess," Tyler replied. "But if we're picking up that and the blower, I'm gonna need the Sedona, Dad. I don't think all three of us will fit in Seth's Bug with that stuff along."

      Lee reached into his pocket and pulled out a keyring, tossing it toward his son. "Think fast, Ty!"

      Tyler caught the keys, and as he moved to shove them into his pocket, he caught a glimpse of his grandfather seated at the table, staring rather morosely out the kitchen window. This worried the teen, because Martin Kimble was usually a cheerful, easygoing old man, but there had been an incident that morning at breakfast that had startled everyone, so he turned back to his father and questioned, "Dad, is Gramps really okay? He just seemed really freaked out this morning when he was reading the paper. Does he know that lady or something?"

      Lee paused briefly before responding, but finally said, "No, he doesn't know her, to the best of my knowledge. The thing is, she looks a lot like... Well, somebody we knew a long time ago, and I think it just brought back some old memories. Don't worry, he'll be fine."

      "Okay, Dad, if you say so. C'mon, guys, lets get over to Coach's house and get that stuff. Then we can come back and maybe I can finally kick your butts on Playstation."

      The three boys hurtled out to the garage, and as the door closed, Lee Kimble chuckled to hear Mike respond, "Not gonna happen, Ty. I've got a system figured out, so I'll be the one mopping up with you and Seth."

      They clambered into the van, and pulled away from the house, leaving Seth's old Volkswagen parked in front of the Kimble house. Ty maneuvered through the suburban streets for nearly twenty minutes, then turned onto a quiet, tree-lined street, pulling into the driveway of a well-kept pale gray house, with a large chimney of darker gray river stones dominating the front of the dwelling. They piled out of the van and Tyler sorted through the keys until he found the one he wanted, inserting it into the keyhole and opening the door.