Getting To Know You ( implied smut )

February 2nd, 6:20 PM

      "Okay, let me see if I've got this straight, now," Ashley said, turning away from the television to face Briar. "The redhead is Katrina Van Tassel, who is Ichabod Crane's wife, and some kind of a witch, and they've somehow both managed to end up in modern times. Not exactly the 'Sleepy Hollow' I remember from English Lit class."

      Flashing him a mischievous grin, Briar replied, "No, but you have to admit that it's definitely more interesting this way." Gesturing toward the screen, she continued, "And personally, I'd much rather look at this than the big-nosed bony guy they describe in the book."

      "True that!" Officer Angelica Ruiz chimed in. "This version of Crane is a vast improvement."

      Officer Danny Belmont chuckled, and said, "The ladies aren't exactly hard on the eyes, either. But since we're talking about the book, where's the other guy? Y'know, whatsisname... oh, yeah, Brom?"

      "In the show, his name is Abraham Van Brunt, and he actually is the Headless Horseman," Briar explained. "It makes more sense if you've watched from the beginning. But the commercials are over, so pay attention. The previews last week made it look like something major is gonna happen this time."

      They settled back into their seats and watched the rest of the program, and then the two officers retreated to the kitchen table for a game of poker, while Ashley and Briar remained in the living room, looking for something else to watch. As they discussed the options, Ashley laid the remote on the arm of the couch and turned toward Briar. "Would you mind if I asked you a slightly personal question?" he inquired.

      Arching an eyebrow, she replied, "Kinda hard to say if I mind until I hear it, but go ahead."

      "Where are you from, originally? Sometimes when you're talking, I can hear just a bit of an accent, but I can't quite place it."

      "Why would you think I'd mind that?" she asked. "I was born and raised in New Orleans, and I lived there until I moved out here for college when I was eighteen. And I seem to remember reading that you're from somewhere in Missouri, is that right?"

      "Yep, I grew up in a tiny little town called Berger, which is about eighty miles from St. Louis," he explained. "I basically did the same thing you did, and left about two weeks after graduation. There was really no way to do the stuff I wanted to do in a town of less than three hundred people, so I kind of had to. But New Orleans is a great place, and there must have been tons of opportunities there, so how did you end up out here?"

      "There are a couple of answers to that, actually," she sighed, leaning her head back to gaze at the ceiling. "First of all, I got a scholarship offer for a good school here. Plus, Sylvia had moved out here about a year before I did, and since she was my best friend, I figured we could hang out again, maybe share an apartment. Needless to say, that didn't go according to plan. And third, because this was about as far as I could get from the rest of my family without leaving the country."

       Ashley gaped at her, and in a somewhat startled tone, said, "Wow! That's a pretty strong statement, Tink."

      "I take it that you're close to your folks, then?"

      "Hell, yeah!" he responded. "My parents died when I was pretty young, but my grandparents raised me, and they've always supported anything I've wanted to do."

      "Anything?" she questioned.

      He paused for a second, then gave a rueful chuckle and said, "Okay, I have to admit, there have been a couple of decisions that they weren't exactly in love with. But even if they disagree with my choices, I always know that they care, and they'll always be there for me. Don't you think your folks would do the same?"