Cold Storage

5:40 PM

      "Yeah, so that's pretty much where things stand right now," Briar explained. "All of my utility bills and credit cards are on auto-pay, so that's not a thing. I just need somebody to go to my place every couple of days and take in the mail, and go check in on Ellie for me. Do you think you might be able to do that? I'll owe you big time."

      "No, you fucking don't owe me a goddamn thing, and you know it!" Wiley Frazier's deep, gravelly voice exploded from the phone. "If anything, this just gets me caught up a little. And you know as well as I do that Cody will jump on the chance to spend time with Ellie, so you're kinda doing him a favor, too. Do you have any idea at all how long you'll be gone?"

      "Not even a little bit," Briar replied, slumping in her seat. "I wish I did, because I hate having to just chuck my whole damn life and go hide like a scared rabbit. Instead of this worthless fucker being in prison, it's almost like we are!"

      "Better a scared rabbit than a dead one, doll," he retorted. "And look on the bright side..."

      "You mean there is one?" she interrupted.

      "At least if you have to hole up somewhere, you've got your new boyfriend with you." he continued.

      Thankful that Lieutenant Sanger had allowed her some privacy in his office for her calls, Briar snorted and said, "Wiley, seriously! I am totally not dating Ash!"

      "Why not, I know you think he's attractive, I heard Cody razzing you about it at the concert. What's wrong, is he the stereotype celebrity asshole or something?"

      "No, he's actually a very nice, intelligent guy, and I guess we're friends now. And I don't lie well enough to try to convince you that I don't think he's hot as hell, but that term also applies to his criteria for women. I've seen pictures of some of his exes, he goes for lingerie models and porn stars, not 'overgrown pixies' with teacups for tits."

      "Well, if big hair and a bigger rack are his only qualifications for dating somebody, he's gonna get a serious reality check one day, if he hasn't already," Wiley pronounced. "And how do you know he might not be up for a change, anyway. Just because Craig was Head Douche of the International Society of Douchebags doesn't mean that everybody else is the same, y'know."

      "Yeah, I know that," she agreed. "But I also know that people very seldom stray that far from their normal preferences. And I doubt that worrying about whether or not Ash thinks I'm attractive should be at the top of my to-do list at this exact moment."

      "No, probably not," he acknowledged. "Your number one priority is staying safe until the cops can catch this piece of garbage, and hopefully get him a hot date with a needle full of poison. Too bad they can't just hand him over to the families, I think he'd get something a lot closer to what he deserves that way."

      At that moment, the door opened, and Sanger said, "We need to wrap this up and get going, Briar. El and LaMarr are bringing Ashley down from the conference room in just a couple of minutes."

      "I heard that, doll," Wiley informed her. "Don't worry about anything here, we've got your six. And I know it's not likely, but if you do get the chance, give us a buzz, and let us know you're okay, or if you need anything."

      "I doubt that they'll let me do that, but you know I will if I can. Thanks, Wiley, I'll talk to you soon, hopefully. Bye."

      After Wiley ended the call, Briar turned off her phone, handed it to the detective, and rose from her seat. As she stepped toward the door, Sanger said, "Your bags are already in the van, so we'll just head down to the garage and get you two on your way. The sooner we get you out of sight, the better I'll feel about it."