Chapter 2

Claire's eyes shot open to the sharp pain in her head. Ebony's screams were still fresh in her mind, her ears filled with a faint ringing sound. The dream had been haunting her from since she turned thirteen. Everynight she would sleep and be transported into the world where a young teenager was being chased by a violent mob. 

It seemed funny that the story of someone whom she had never known would be haunting her for life. A part of her wanted to know the reason for which Ebony was being punished. Why was Ebony unhappy with being immortal and what was the grave sin that she had commited? It had to be something really dreadful for the mob to chase her. The crowd's faces were never visible but instead appeared as a large pair of hands.

Claire closed her eyes and imagined herself what it would feel like to live forever. She could do all sorts of things. The word "Things" however, didn't ring a bell. Her dreams always led her to a room with nothing but white walls.

Claire was seventeen but yet she felt like a hundred year old woman. Old and grey. She had only one true friend, a dozen of bullies to make her feel insecure, a religious mother and an abusive sister. The only place that she had been to was her high school and her house. She never really got a chance to move beyond those white walls.

Perhaps Ebony too might have had the same life as hers. Sometimes Claire pitied Ebony, while other times she felt angry at her for ruining her dreams. Maybe all that Ebony ever dreamed of were white walls too.

"Claire get down. You're geting late." A cold voice spoke from downstairs. "I am getting ready." She lied. She pushed off the blankets and headed straight toward the toilet. Her head felt much better. 

Would it have been different, if Claire was beautiful? She might not have been bullied and taunted at. She stared at herself in the bathroom mirror and wished she could smash it into pieces. Half of her face was bright red, it almost shone like a ruby. Her bright blue eyes stared back at her sadly. Such a great contrast on her skin. Blue eyes on a half red face. Perfect!

She had been to the doctor once or twice for her skin. Unfortunately, there was no cure for changing this colour to normal. "There is no cure for this sweetheart." The doctor had spoken to her plainly and went away. She had to live with this disease. Not only did it bring an ugly face, but it led to severe headaches and chest pains. The severity of the pain could be described by the fact that she would loose her eye sight for as long as the pain existed.

Her eyes were already brimming with tears, threatening to fall down. She didn't have time for that. Not on her first day of senior year of high school. Quickly she tied up her long silvery white hair into a bun and changed to her new uniform. It consisted of a blue striped shirt with long sleeves and a long blue skirt uptil her ankles. "A large blue sach you are!" She muttered to herself. Another name to be added to the bullies' list of name calling.

She headed downstairs gloomily thinking of words to reply back to Raven's rude comments on her uniform. She always ended up out of words though. But it wasn't her fault, it was mother's fault for forcing her to wear covering clothes. But covering herself never meant to wear an oversized uniform! Besides, she was just going to turn eighteen. She'd be an adult. It was time her mother let her go. 

"I made broccoli soup. Eat it or starve. I'm waiting in the car." Chloe spoke rudely as Claire headed towards the kitchen. She saw Chloe staring at her with one last look of contempt before heading to the car outside. Sometimes she doubted if Chloe really was her sister. Apart from bullying her and throwing hateful words, her appearance too was completely different. Large brown eyes, an abnormally long nose, cracked lips and pale yellow skin tightly plastered onto her skeletal structure. Unlike Claire's silvery long hair, Chloe was a brunnete with hair reaching her shoulders. 

Claire wondered where her mother would be. Perhaps at the holy temple, she thought. Staring at the green sticky liquid once again, she thought she'd rather starve and eat at the school canteen. Atleast they made food that was edible. Was this even broccoli soup? She thought. She picked up her backpack, ran her palm over the red half of her face impulsively and hurried off towards the car.  It was her final year. One last year of depression and then she'd be on her own. 

Before she could lift up her spirits, a large crack flooded her ears followed by a sharp burning pain on her face. For a moment, she couldn't see anything but red spots that outlined a skinny figure standing upright in front of her. Chloe had just slapped her.