Chapter 5

"Can you read your writing for us all?" Miss Erica faked a smile at Evans who was dozing off in class. He woke up with a jerk. "Who, Me?" She glared at him. Olivia almost let out a snort. She hated Evans and found every opportunity to mock at him. She believed he deserved it.

Evans stood up like a boss holding his brown notebook. "I, uh.. Arts and design is mostly stuff girls do. It includes drawing pink flowers and girly dresses. Then showing it off to their other girl friends to giggle over it." All of the boys started to laugh as the girls scowled at him. Even the ones who were impressed by his trick previously were scowling at him.

"He really does know about Arts and Design." Olivia spoke through gritted teeth, while glaring partly at Dereck behind who was laughing along with the other boys. He fell silent.

"Why do they have to ruin it for us all? He was probably enrolled by force into this class." Claire whispered to Olivia.

"Thank you, young man. That was very different to what I expected." Miss Erica gestured for him to sit down, her expression indicating loathe.

"What did you write?" She asked Raven.

Raven got up from her chair cockily, holding her green notebook with pride. "I expect that we learn graphic designing which will be very beneficial for any one who cannot go further to college. We can still get a job at the local IT company or any advertisement agency and get paid well. I think Arts and Design can make you rich wihout studying further."

"lazy Bitch" Olivia whispered into Claire's ear who grinned while staring at her own writings nervously.

"Quite ambitious." Miss Erica seemed a bit annoyed.

Not noticing the annoyance in everyone's clapping tone, she sat back with pride, her blonde noodle hair bouncing.

"The girl in the corner. What about you." Miss Erica seemed very pissed off, now that she had gotten two very disappointing responses. She already had low expectations from Claire when she got up quietly. Claire stared at the whole class. Raven imitated her previous crouching behaviour, while Evans imitated a chicken. She sighed and started to read,

When no one is there for you, when the world mocks at you and you feel buried beneath the darkness that you are engulfed in all around you. Darkness that is emanated like black heat from the hearts of the ones who casue distress. There is then one light that speaks to you. "Come with me. Escape from this cruel place. You will only be buried further if you resist. That light is none other than your own soul. What we scribble onto a piece of paper from the depths of our hearts is our light. Freedom of the soul from that callous dark.

The whole class remained silent. Claire felt nervous, as if they are going to start laughing any moment. "Uh..well, I think that's what the purpose of arts and design is?" Claire added nervously.

From behind Dereck started to clap, his face awestruck. Slowly like an epidemic spreading over the class, everyone joined in the applause except Raven. Even her gang of girls were clapping, until Raven glared at them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That was terrific. You should've seen Raven's face. More than that, you blew up Miss Erica. Like KABOOM!!!" Olivia laughed as they sat together at lunch in the cafeteria. The cafeteria reminded Claire of the early fight that Chloe had started in the morning. She looked down at her collar. The green stains were faded but still visible. Even her hair still seemed like they had been dyed green unevenly.

Claire sipped her orange juice while smiling shyly. "Thanks. I just wrote what I felt like. I mean that darkness meant about the bullying from people with merciless hearts and-------"