Chapter 11

I've updated chapter 1 so if you're interested, feel free to read it. However, know that the concept is the same as it was before. 

I will be updating the next chapter on next Monday (28th July). I have an exam on Saturday so I will not be able to update on the usual Fridays.

enjoy! :)

If it wasn’t for Miss Helen’s overly sized emerald green dress, Claire and the rest of the class would have confused her for an overweight ten year old. Her tiny stature was already present, whizzing around and examining things when she and Olivia entered the class. At first it seemed, they were the only ones inside as they settled down at the left front corner, when suddenly they were startled with a loud clank followed by a small whimper.

Both the girls turned around at the source of the noise behind them. Far at the end of the class lay Miss Helen covered in a heap of green cloth, her fleshy hand visible in the green fabric. Beside her lay a toppled chair and a large poster on top. Claire and Olivia left their seats and hurried over to help Miss Helen back to her feet.

Olivia straightened out the chair and placed it aside while she stared at the poster that Miss Helen had accidentally detached from the wall. Claire tried to push her teacher’s dress out of the way as she searched for her tiny body and helped her to stand back on her feet.

“I’m going to sue the school for these damn chairs. They think they will get away with these?” Miss Helen said to nobody as she started to move around rapidly without giving any notice to the two girls. Her short and dark curls bounced on her green silk dress behind, as her thick voice echoed inside the room. She barely noticed the bruise on her wrist.

 “Now, tell me what kind of a school provides such horrible schedule….and that too for Town History.” She hurried over to Olivia and snatched the poster from her. “Ahh. This poster shouldn’t be left to rot in this old rotten class. It belongs in my office.” She folded it carefully moving her long skinny fingers around it. It was a picture of a typical island crowded by large palm trees and a vast ocean that stretched out to infinity. Claire wondered if Miss Helen had mistakenly escaped from the mental asylum.

After she had carefully placed her beloved poster on the wooden table, she finally noticed both of the girls who hadn’t moved from their places. “I’m sorry girls. I was taken away by the poster and the damn chair. Such a school can’t afford proper chairs, it’s a shame. Have a seat both of you.” She chirped.  As both the girls settled down again with their books opened, Miss Helen began whispering loud enough for them to hear.

“What am I going to teach them in this class? There’s so much to teach and so less time. Ten months? That’s crazy.”  She was wearing square glasses and staring at a white sheet of paper

Claire looked back at Olivia who seemed as confused as her. Soon the class began to fill up with boys and girls. Evans and Raven entered together snickering while also passing an evil glance at Claire’s side. Olivia’s Cousin Claudia entered the room and settled behind them just as Derek entered. He was back in his jolly annoying mood. Raven rolled her eyes as Derek smirked at her. Miss Helen was still whispering to herself but thankfully her voice was drowned in the noise of the chatters. Derek winked at Claire and settled down behind them, just beside Claudia. She rolled her eyes and stared back at her thick text-book; Town History by Alex Gertrude. Its cover had the same picture of Miss Helen’s poster. Raven’s boyfriend Nick entered strutting like a peacock. It was no puzzle as to why Raven chose him.

Miss Helen was writing her name on the white board. Claire thought her handwriting resembled the noodles that made random S- shapes.

“---Is she this weird all the time? Such a freak!” Derek was gossiping with Claudia. Claire put her head on the table groaning. Did he really have to make her feel worse about her decision? Her inner voice mocked at her stupidity for believing that he was different than Evans or Raven. Soon Claudia would know and then by the end of the day Raven would be handing out leaflets on Claire’s life. A mini town history of its own.