Ritualistic Frost

11 of March of 2010

I could say without a doubt that magic was the most important thing in this new life of mine

I could say without a doubt that magic was the most important thing in this new life of mine. The second being Caroline. Magic was the obsession that had followed me from my past life and sometimes I wonder if it was that obsession that had caused me to be reborn as a witch. 

Magic was energy, that was the first thing any witch learned. The difference between witches and muggles, for lack of better term, was the fact that witches could tap into the energy around them to change reality. 

Originally the witches used the energy of nature as their main power source,  traditional magic. This eventually led to their so-called duty as servants of nature, but it's not like witches were created specifically for such a duty. At least there's no proof of that.

Later, with the creation of the other side and the agglomeration of the souls of witches and warlocks, a new power source was discovered- spirit magic, that was controlled by the spirits. But certain covens wanted more power, so they found a way to consecrate the power of the dead into a specific land by burying their bodies in blessed soils, and ancestral magic was born.  

Dark Magic used the energy created by negative emotions, be it of the users or of others. According to Gloria, it was first discovered during some war. It was powered by hate and despair in the human soul, while it didn't exactly evolve sacrifices like the expression and sacrificial magic it took its fee on the mind. The upside is that it doesn't strain the body half as much as traditional magic. If one could master their mind well enough, the strain would be minimal. Emily once told me that some Shaolin Monks could use dark magic easily. To the well-organized mind and whatnot. 

Expression, well... Nobody knew much, not even Gloria. Some claim it's a neutral power that reins nature, others believe that it's pure evil. The common consensus was that to gain power from expression sacrifices were made, like sacrificial magic. However, in sacrificial magic, only supernatural beings were useful because it stole their power. Humans with no power were useless. So, it would be a good guess to say that Expression doesn't use the power of the body but the power of the soul. 

Personally speaking, as someone who had died before, it seems to me that Expression uses the energy of Death and as such it was the opposite to nature, the energy of Life. Until I knew more about it, I wasn't touching it for sure. Cannon Bon went a little crazy, so better safe than sorry. 

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality." 

Albert Einstein said that while talking about physics. Curiously enough, it was the sentence that for me best described magic. A witch had the ability to reach into the energy and change the frequency of the reality to her whims. Spells, curses, hexes, and rituals were only the conduit. 

I didn't need a wand but I still needed conduits that eased the strain of the magic on the body. Heretics had it easy, with their vampire bodies healing the damage they didn't feel the strain but for a little old mortal like me, it was an issue. Technically speaking, heretics didn't actually even need spells they were probably just too used to them, like crutches you just can't get rid of.