Hidden Queen

Chapter 1

Looking out my bedroom window I cant help but appreciate the beauty of my surroundings. Endless woods and a beautiful lake. The perfect place for any werewolf to live. Unlike most werewolves we don't have a pack because my parents are King and Queen and I'm their only daughter so that makes me future Queen. But I'm lucky unlike the usual stereotypes given to royal families my parent's are down to earth, they have no airs or graces about themselves or about with me.

Instead of being cooped up inside I get to train with the top warriors who are part of the royal guards. Once they realised how serious I was about training they didn't take things easy on me. I'm treated and trained the same way as any other warriors. After ten years of training with them I can only now keep up with their speed, strength and techniques. The closer I get to turning eighteen more my strength grows. At eighteen is when a royal comes into their true strength and power when the royal mark on my back is complete.

Once I shifted for the first time at sixteen the same age as all other werewolves. My mark starts at the top of my back and with each birthday it's grows in size until its complete on my eighteenth birthday. Which is only a couple of months away. Each royal mark is different as it depends on the power you receive. It's nearly exactly the same looking as a tattoo except for the colours so far my colours are a midnight blue and silver done in a intricate design.

Once I meet my mate and complete the bond he will have the same mark only smaller marking him as king. The same way it happened with my father. Our mates always tend to be stronger, faster and more aggressive than the average wolf until the bond calms their wolf. The reason for this is because their wolf has a strong urge to find and protect us more so than any other mates.

Once we are bonded my parents will step down from the throne when I turn twenty one. So I have more than a few years before I have to panic about ruling. My training for that starts when I turn eighteen as for now my main interest is learning how to fight so I can also protect our kind. A ruler needs to be strong in mind but also in body. We have to know how to protect ourselves so that we won't always rely on others to protect us. We fight with our guard they don't fight for us.

Looking at the clock I grab my towel and drink as i head downstairs to the training room. Walking into the room I'm met with smiling faces. A quarter of our guards are close to my age so I have a lot of friend's among them. Unfortunately most female wolves tend to stay in their packs or become pack warriors while getting to start their own families. Most of the warriors here either haven't met their mate's yet or are living with them in the estate on the grounds a few minute's run from here. I have met all of their mate's and children but unfortunately they don't have the same easy banter with me like their mate's have. I guess being a princess makes them feel they have to act a certain way around me.

"Hey Kyra, you ready to get your ass kicked today" Mason my best friend asked as he wrapped his arm around me.

"I highly doubt that Mason. If I remember clearly Kyra has kicked your ass more times than I can remember" Jessie the head of the guards laughed as he walked over to us.

"I was just thinking the same thing Jessie" I joked.

"Hey it's not that often and anyway you have been training with these guys a lot longer than I have" he pouted.

Which I have to say looks ridiculous on him because he is about six ft two with broad shoulders and packed with muscle. His brown hair is short at the sides but longer at the top and always messy even though he swears he styles it that way but I know better. He just can't get it under control. He has a warm friendly face when he smiles and his brown eyes always sparkle with his cheeky grin. But if you cross him those features turn the complete opposite of friendly and he looks extremely intimidating. He isn't the only one that can no longer get the better of me but thankfully they all take it in their stride.

My feature's aren't so intimidating. I'm not the tallest for a werewolf only reaching about five ft seven. Figure wise I'm toned and slim, with a full chest like most werewolves . My auburn hair has streaks of natural blonde going through it and it falls down below my ribs in thick waves. My eyes are a mix of blue and silver which stand out against my tanned skin along with my pink full lips. Like I said not at all intimidating. So much so that Maison calls me baby girl.

Each morning I always starts the same. A warm up and then straight into fighting. There is nothing like a good fight to get you're energy up for the day. Then I get breakfast with my parents and after that i help run patrol with some of the warriors around the castle grounds. After that I get to spend some time with Mason.

Who ever ends up being his mate is going to be a lucky girl. He is so easy to be around and he is protective and funny. He is like the perfect big brother. He is a regular in the castle and my parent's love him especially with how protective he is. I just hope once he finds his mate he will stay here and live with her on the estate. I know I'm being greedy but I would hate to lose him and I have always picture us staying here with our mates and both having large families.

After two hour's of training and kicking Mason' s ass numerous times. I run back upstairs to have breakfast with my parents. Walking into the kitchen I hug them both.

"Uh honey  you're all sweaty" Mom laughed.

"I know. I'm sorry, training ran late and I'm too hungry to go have a shower first" I smiled.

"It's okay squirt. Jessie tells me your kicking some ass down there" dad said smiling proudly.

"I'm trying and it has taken long enough to get to this point. We really do have some amazing fighter's dad and they are unbelievable to watch. I don't think I have ever seen anyone move as fast as they do even Mason has come on so much. He is going to be a great warrior" I beamed.

"He is and you know you get to choose a personal guard once you become queen. I don't even have to ask who you will want" dad laughed.

"It's Mason if he hasn't moved on by then" I said frowning at the thought.

"Mason' s not going anywhere. He told me himself that he wants to be you're personal guards and that it would be an honour to him" dad winked.

"Then that's sorted. Mason it is" I told him.

Finishing off breakfast in record time I ran back down stairs to meet the warriors on patrol. When I got outside I shifted into my large silver wolf. My wolf's eyes are similar to my own except there more silver than blue.

Running in wolf form is the biggest rush I have ever experience. The speed our wolves can reach is unbelievable. Every time I run though the woods it becomes more and more beautiful especially seeing it through my wolves eyes. Everything is so clear and more detailed. It takes about an hour to run the full patrol around the castles ground's but it never seems long enough. I could run in wolf form all day. I can't even remember what it was like before I shifted and how I use to see the woods. I don't think I ever fully appreciated it's full beauty.

Turning into a wolf for the first time was worth the pain. It's a thousands time more painful for a royal to shift for the first time. Surviving our first shift shows we are strong enough to lead our kind. There is always the possibility a royal will die during their first shift. It's the same for when I turn eighteen and receive my power. It will be another test. If I don't survive it's means I'm not worthy to rule. Being royal isn't just a title passed down it has to be earned. You have to be strong and worthy of the title before you can receive it.