Chapter 42 - Overwhelmed

"Lady Evangeline!"

The door slammed open. A guard was standing there, panting, his hair tangled and in a mess. Blood stained his uniform and his lance, too.

Pulling out from my seat, I asked, "What the he—what on earth happened?"

"The castle," he said breathlessly, "we're under attack."

"Under attack?" I repeated. I looked outside. It was broad daylight. Who would try to attack the castle right now, when everyone is awake?

Walking over to me, he grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards him. I pulled against him. "What do you think that you're doing!?"

"It's not safe here, princess. I was ordered to take you to a safer room."

"No!" I exclaimed and then shoved him off me. Standing my ground, I stated, "I'm staying here." I'd rather die than be with the others.

"But princess, I cannot guarantee your safety if you stay—"

Suddenly, I felt something overwhelm my body. Before I knew it, I was no longer in control.

Eve had, for the first time, taken over me. Quickly, she grabbed him by his arm. She twisted him until he was vulnerable. Then, with his lance, she used the butt of it to knock him to the ground. He fell. He fell to the ground and didn't move a muscle.

With his weapon in her hand, she used it to break our chains. Then, she cut the hem of our skirt until it fell about mid-thigh. The expensive fabric fell on the ground, discarded. Our body felt a lot lighter. Without another word, she dashed out of the room, leaving the guard behind.

We ran into the hall. It looked like a war zone. The walls were splattered with blood. On the ground, a mix of reds oozed from underneath the incapacitated soldiers. All around us, bodies scattered the floors. They were all in uniform...but not only guard uniforms.

The Liberation Alliance. They're here.

Newton must be here. Quickly, walking over the bodies, we started to head towards the throne room. Bursting inside, we were welcomed to the sight of more bodies. But looking at the thrones, there was no one there.

"Shit," she cursed under her breath, "they escaped."

Who escaped?

"They are likely where I expected them to be. We need to hurry," she murmured to herself, ignoring me.

Where you expected them to be? Where's that?

Once again, she ignored me and instead chose to dash back into the hallway. She ran back in the direction of her tower. However, that wasn't her plan: to go back to our safe, secluded room. No, instead, she ran passed the hall and kept running on and on. Glancing in my limited view, suddenly, I realized where she was going:

The chemical room.