Chapter 43 - Move Forward

We raced back downstairs, only to discover a brigade of guards resting at the foot of the tower. Quickly, someone grabbed their gun and started shooting at them. Several blocked them with their swords, letting the bullets ricochet off them. Others... they weren't as lucky.

They staggered behind, trying to catch their footing. While they did that, we pushed them aside, scraping past them. I felt a numbness in my arms from where I went past one, but I didn't pay any heed to it. Behind, I heard some of the infantry members engage them. But as for us, we had to get away.

We had to find Lady Evangeline. No—we had to find Katherine.

However, our way was soon blocked by another group of guards. They had emerged from the conjoining hallway. Judging by their faces, they didn't mean well—their faces were painted with some bright red that was tainted a dirty brown.

Axel pushed us aside.

"Go," he said, turning his back on us. Leaning down, he grabbed a sword from one of the bodies on the ground. Getting into his stance, he said, "I'll hold them off. Go find Princess Evangeline."

"What about you, Axel?" Esmae shrieked. Shaking her head, she bit her lip. "No, we can't go. Not if that means we have to leave you behind." Bending down, she hesitantly grabbed a sword. "No one's being left behind this time."

Soon, the others were pulling out swords. I did, too. I grabbed the nearest one. I looked at the woman's face. Mine was going to be like that if I didn't watch.

We got into the stance and engaged the guards.

I took on someone who was about my height—about 5'2. He flew at me and swung his sword at me. Quickly, I brought mine up and blocked it. He pressed his sword against me and came close enough that his face was a few inches from my own. I could smell the stench on his face, his hair—his whole body. Then, looking into his eyes, I could see the pain behind the fire.

Swiftly, I jumped back, disengaging him. His body tilted forward temporarily but he recuperated quickly. He lifted his head and threw me a glare. There was no hope in this, was there?

He leaped at me. Pivoting on my heel, I once again blocked it. He swung to the right. Blocked again. Then, left. Blocked. He kept his sequence though. He started to draw nearer. And I kept backing up. More. More. More. 

My back hit a wall. He swung his sword for another time. But before he hit me, I ducked and ran. Looking back, I saw him struggling to get it out of the pillar. Then, Newvy came behind him.

I looked forward. Scanning the room, I looked for anyone who needed help. The guards' numbers were dwindling. Miraculously, we were winning.

Suddenly, I bumped into something hard. I looked up. I felt a numbness overwhelm my body. It was Viola's husband—what's his face. And judging by his face, he recognized me. He brought up his sword. I didn't move.

Shit.

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

I tried to move.

No use.

Looking down, I saw what was holding onto me. There were two fallen soldiers on the ground, holding onto my ankles. They were looking up at me. I knew that face. Their faces read, "You're joining us, too."

My heart raced. I tried tugging at their hands. No use. No use, no use, no use. I'm done for. I looked back at his blade. It was coming close. Too close. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!

Suddenly, I was pushed. Their hands finally let go of me. I tumbled to the ground and fell only a few feet away from another sword. Mine fell out of my hand. Looking up to see my savior, my eyes only watered. No. It can't be.

"Staggering to get on my feet, I got a better look at it. Blood. Dripping on the white floor. A torn shoulder. A blade. A soaked black shirt—a stain that will never go away. And an aching face and shaking body—all wrapped up into one: someone who was never supposed to get hurt.

"AXEL!" I exclaimed, bolting to my feet.

Nearby, Luckas heard and swiftly, pushed aside the Duke. Like me, he went tumbling to the ground. He turned his back on him however, and reverted his attention to Axel.

Taking out the blade in his arm, he asked, "Green, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Luckas, I'm fine." Looking over at me, he said with a suffering smile, "I'm glad that Alastair's fine. He looked like he was in real trouble there."

Leaning over, Luckas went to one of the guard's bodies and tore some fabric off of him. Then, he wrapped it around him. Once he was done, he patted him on his back. "Be careful."

"I will, man, I will."

He looked into his eyes. Then, without another word, he embraced him. In a low voice, he begged, "Please do." He drew away from him. His sapphire eyes were clouded, almost as though they looked miserable.

Looking back around, I saw that there were no more guards to be found. They were all either on the ground, unconscious, or... I held in my need to gag. But thankfully, all of the Liberalists were still alive. We were still together. But from the looks of it, some were beginning to suffer. In the corner of my eye, I saw Esmae, her hands quivering, staring at her blade. That wasn't me.

But it might be me soon.

Drawing back our attention, Luckas commanded, "Liberalists, move forward!"

And so we did. We went further into this hellhole. But then, like before, we were caught in another fight. But we were almost there. We could feel it.

Turning to Phil and me, Luckas yelled, "Adair! Kingsworth! Move forward!"

"We're not leaving you behind!"

Next to me, I heard Dani scream, "Just do it! Don't worry about us—find Evangeline!"

Then, close by, I heard Newvy scream, "Do it, Wynn!"

And so we did. Phil and I ran off. Off to see the princess.

Mother.