Chapter 50 - Breathe

"And that's the story of the Libentinian Civil War," I said as I began to clean the blackboard. Behind me, I could hear the kids' excited voices as they rose their hands. Striking a smile, I turned around and took the question of a kid sitting in the front.

Innocently, he asked, "Miss Adair, so you were in it?"

I nodded and leaned in closer to him. Brushing aside a stray brown lock, I stated energetically, "Yep! I was even there when the castle exploded, too."

His hazel eyes lit up and widened in excitement. "Was it as big and huge and pretty like the textbooks made it?"

I nodded again. Then, with my hands, I mimicked an explosion. "It was like bwoooosh! A lot of government places in High Libentina—so the area where Prudence, Continental, and Sansoucie are—blew up, too. And just like the castle, the buildings burst into flames and left behind a beautiful fireworks display. It was very pretty, but also very sad, too."

Tilting his head, he asked, "Why was it sad? Wasn't it good 'cause you saved all of Libentina?"

I sighed and darted my eyes away. "Kinda. I mean, my friends and I were labeled as heroes and all and Libentina became the Republic of Libentina, but it was kinda sad because all of the Regality were chased off or sent somewhere bad."

"Somewhere bad? Like where? The time-out corner?"

I patted his head and laughed. "Kind of." Backing away, I looked at the clock. Three o'clock—time to wrap things up. Turning to the rest of them, apologetically, I said, "Looks like it's time for today's lesson to end. Go out and have fun! Don't forget that dinner's at 5 o'clock though, everyone!"

A mixed response of groans and cheers were heard. I couldn't help but laugh at them again. They were so young, yet they loved to learn... almost like someone who I used to know.

Walking out of the room, I was met with a familiar couple. The children were already gathered around them, excitedly greeting them.

"It's President Vail, it's President Vail!" they cheered as they tried to get hugs from Luckas. Next to him, Danielle was smiling and laughing.

Leaning closer to them, he stretched his arms and they leaped into them. Then, without any struggle, he lifted them up and spun them around. Then, once again, I laughed with all of them.

Putting them down, he patted each of their heads and told them, "We have to talk about grown-up stuff. Take care." Immediately, they followed his orders—just like many others—and ran off.

Turning his attention to me, he remarked, "Adair, If they're always like this, then I might consider adopting one off your hands."

"You already have two kid and you want another? Wow, moving fast, huh? Is that little mischievous son and daughters of yours not enough right now?" I questioned with a smirk.

"I said that I was considering it, not that I definitely will. That's not a dream yet."

Noticing how close the two were together, I remembered the dreams that we shared with each other eight years ago. "Yeah, you've got to finish the one you shared a few years ago, right? You have the 'settle down' part down, but you're not quite at the whole 'in Lower Libentina' or 'quiet life' part, huh?"

He awkwardly coughed. Then, looking back at me, he stated, "I will once my duty can be taken from my hands. I plan to move to Liberation with Danielle and Al and Kat once my duties are fulfilled. But for now, since Libentina needs a leader, I will gratefully and graciously fulfill that duty until someone more suitable arrives."