[3] Pray For The Insubordinate Detective

"I'm always ready for a war again"

  ► Aadya 

I stared at my phone in irritation as I placed it several inches away from myself. The word supervisor lit up across the screen with the red end call button just underneath. The need to press it filled my entire being, especially if it meant not having to hear the nonsense my supervisor spoke. He wasn't saying anything I wanted to hear, so why continue putting myself through the torture of listening?

I shifted my gaze to look at Nona in the driver's seat who stared back at me expectantly, likely wondering what information the supervisor was sputtering. I shook my head and rolled my eyes to give her a signal that it wasn't anything good. I put the phone back to my ear to continue hearing whatever nonsense my supervisor was saying.

"...nothing I could do," Darwin finished. Great, I caught the end of his bullshit.

I sighed into the phone. "So, then, what are we to do now?"

"Take the rest of the day. I'll have a new case for you and Nona tomorrow morning. See you then."

I told him goodbye before forcefully, but also carefully, pressing the end call button on the screen of my phone. If I wasn't careful, I'd have to watch the screen of my phone shatter into pieces, just as I had done previously to dozens of phones.

I almost wished I had a flip phone again just so I could shut it dramatically in anger. I slipped the device into my pocket before resting against my seat. I frowned, staring out the windshield.

"What did he say?" Nona inquired.

"There was nothing he could do and that he'll have a new case for us tomorrow morning," I told her. She sighed beside me. I continued staring out the window at the folks that still lingered along the police tape. Few reporters accompanied the onlookers, speaking into a mic most likely informing them of the events that occurred inside the museum walls.

The public would grow curious or concerned. One of the things I loved about my job was catching the criminals that would cause distress to the public. Had we been given a little more time, I'm sure we would have caught Klaue, or at least made further advancements that would lead to his detainment. This would be the first case that I didn't solve and it bothered me to the core.

Nona muttered a curse word before starting the car. "I don't know about you, but I need a drink."

I shifted to look at Nona, a smile spreading to my lips. "Loch's?"

She returned my smile knowingly and confirmed, "Loch's."

I cheered silently to myself as she took off. I pushed today's events into a deeper pocket within my mind at the prospect of visiting an old favorite spot, Loch's. It was our go-to bar back in college and it had been years since we returned. Fortunately, it was located in the city where we currently were, downtown, and didn't require a long drive.

As we pulled up, I gazed at the familiar old building. It was surrounded by other businesses with big flashy signs. Loch's almost appeared hidden with the sign dimmed and small. Nona parked at a nearby parking lot and together we made our way over.

The door chimed as we entered. The area was dimly lit and the air thick. Business was slow with a few customers sitting nearby at the tables. Tables were lined along the right side against the wall. On the opposite end, the bar resided along with several television screens. Behind the counter stood a worker cleaning a glass with a kitchen towel. He nodded in our direction, acknowledging our presence.