[2*] Pray For The New King

- Wakanda -

The sound of the ship humming filled the quiet room as the royal aircraft continued its path to its destination. Within it, stood the prince clutching his weapon and shield in hand. His heart beat madly in his chest, not in fear, but in anticipation, for the moment he knew was coming since his father's passing. Preparations had been made and arranged weeks in advance. It was expected that everything was to go as planned during the upcoming ceremony. Not long until his title as Prince would be stripped away to be replaced by the title of King.

King, his mind repeated. Am I going to be a good king? T'Challa wondered. His eyes fell to his painted chest before they shut closed. He breathed deeply while the ship slowed its pace to begin its descent. It was time, whether he felt ready or not.

His eyes fell open as the door began to pry open. Immediately, the chanting of his people filled his ears. T'Challa descended the stairs of the ship, being careful with each step. He looked ahead as his feet stepped into cool waters upon exiting the aircraft. He continued to grip the shield and sword while gazing around at the scene before him in awe.

People stood along the cliffs of the waterfall. They were dressed in an arrangement of a variety of colors and patterns, sporting their tribal garbs. There was a clearing in the water cascading down the edge of the waterfall, falling along the deeper crevices of the wall to prevent with people from being saturated with water.

T'Challa continued glancing around until his eyes met his mother, Ramonda, and sister, Shuri. They acknowledged him with a proud smile before his gaze fell on Zuri nearby. He was dressed in his regular purple attire, but for the occasion, his face was painted in an intricate pattern.

The prince stepped forward until he stood near Zuri. The people began to go quiet as Zuri's gaze fell upon them, preparing to speak. "I, Zuri, son of Badu, give to you Prince T'Challa, the Black Panther!"

The crowd erupted into cheers at his words. A serious expression was etched across T'Challa's features as he crossed the items in hand over his head to form an X and knelt into the water. The crowd mimicked his movements but instead, crossed their arms over their chest. The sound of the Dora Milaje slamming their spears into the ground followed and once again, the crowd went silent.

A wooden bowl was passed to Zuri. He clutched it into his hands, stepping closer to T'Challa. "The prince will now have the strength of the black panther stripped away!" He bellowed before placing the edge of the bowl to his lips to allow him to drink.

T'Challa took a sip and ignored the taste that flooded his mouth. He swallowed the contents and cringed as he felt it working through his system. He began to breathe heavily with black vein-like lines now present on his skin. He gasped at the pain that began to overtake him, his face scrunching in response. The people watched and bounced their shoulders with their arms crossed over their chest. They continued until the prince stood from where he knelt, all previous signs of pain now clear from his features.

"Praise the ancestors!" Zuri shouted in Xhosa. The crowd repeated before he continued, "victory in ritual combat comes by yield or death. If any tribe wishes to put forth a warrior, I now offer a path to the throne." He finished and motioned towards T'Challa.

A man from the merchant tribe bellowed from the crowd, diverting all attention to him. The tribe repeated before the leader stepped forward to speak. "The merchant tribe will not challenge today."

Following the merchant tribe, the border, river, and mining tribe stated the same. As things were going, there would be no challenge and the prince will immediately be crowned king.

"Is there any member of a royal tribe who wishes to challenge for the throne?" Zuri inquired as his eyes danced to the different tribes along the cliffs.