Chapter four- Future Chef

Emmeline's POV

"Pass me the candy sprinkles, please." My mum said. I picked and hand the cup of candy sprinkles to my mum. She took it and shook the cup, letting some of the candy sprinkles fall and land on her new project that she was working on since two hours ago.

"Bon appétit!" My mum gushed as she picked two sprinkles-covered balls up and handed one to me.

"Mum, what is this?" I asked, looking at the food on my hand, trying to figure what is the kind of food is that.

My mum rolls her eyes, "Bonbons, of course!" My eyebrow furrows, making a frown. My mum sighed, "French word for candy and it’s one of popular desserts in France. Taste it!" I raised my eyebrow and looked up to my mum. My mum nods eagerly, unlike my dull gray ones, her beautiful turquoise eyes twinkling in hope. Hoping that I will like it. I look down to my hand where the bonbon is. The bonbons have been dipped in melted chocolate and were recently sprinkled with the candy sprinkles. I have to admit, these bonbons actually looks very tasty.

"Are you sure they won't try to kill me like last time?"

My mum exclaimed, "Hey! I didn't know you was allergic to cinnamon!"

"Okay, If this actually tastes good, I want you to teach me how to make this-" my mum interrupted me.

"Awww! My little Emmeline want to be a chef like me!" She squealed. 

I rolled my eyes, "Muuuuuuuuum," I whined, "you know I like to cook for fun. I don't want to be a chef, I want to be a wedding planner."

"Wedding planner is boringgggg." My mum drag the 'g' to sound like a little kid whining. She is mocking me. She could be childish sometimes and the unusual thing was that I act more mature than my mum. Weird.

I narrowed my eyes at her, "Well, I prefer to be a wedding planner over a chef! Anyway, let's hope I survive these bonbons." I said the last part dramatically.

When I was eight years old, my mum met a world-known French chef, Paul Bocuse in a grocery store when she was visiting France for a month. She said that Paul Bocuse noticed there was something in my mum and he said that she would turn out a good chef. My mom worshipped his words and it has been only nine years ago when she met him, she has been always practicing trying out new food recipes. Sometimes her foods tastes either horrible or delicious. She once did tried to make a cheesecake from scratch. She always let me tastes first her every food that she made. So, when I tasted that cheesecake... It was a disaster. About ten minutes later, I was riding on an ambulance, clutching on my swelling throat. Apparently, my mum put too much of unnecessary cinnamon in the cheesecake. I'm allergic to cinnamon; actually, I still can eat foods with little bit of cinnamon. Well, the cake tastes terrible and it almost killed me, anyway.

I took a deep breath and dig my teeth in the bonbon, praying silently to myself that bonbon would taste delicious. The wonder of sweet chocolate covered coconut and walnuts burst into my tongue when I start to chew the bonbon. I feel like my mouth are doing a break-dancing right now! Bonbons are one of the most delicious homemade food I have ever tasted!

"Oh my dear god..." I gasped and took another bite on bonbons, chewing fast as the flavors of bonbons danced along with my mouth.

"Do you like it?" My mom asked nervously, biting on her fingernails

"No, I don't even like it." I said truthfully. My mom's face dropped and her arm fell limply to her side. "I absolutely LOVE it! Thank god you never gave up after these years I told you to give up!" I grinned and took another bonbon.