Chapter Ten

Ahren
Show us?! Unless we were time travelers, there was no way it could be shown... My thoughts were stopped as 2 butlers came in, rolling an old TV in the Women's Room. One quickly bowed toward us, while the other gave Dad a box. "Thank you," he said.

The butler nodded and bowed. Mom turned to Eadlyn and Erik. "It would probably be best to bring Kerttu to bed. The TV may wake her up and..." Mom shook her head. I was getting worried, both Mom and Dad were tense. Eadlyn's eyes widened, apparently understanding what was going to happen next. Slowly, Erik lifted Kerttu and walked out.

Mom walked over to Dad, and they exchanged a few words. Sliding a metallic disk in the TV, Dad fumbled with a couple buttons. I looked around the room. Mom, Dad, Lady Marlee, Mr Carter, Kile, Josie, Kaden, Osten, Eadlyn, Camille, Officer Aspen, Lady Lucy, and Erik, as he walked back in. It was a large group, but people closest to Mom and Dad. Not everyone knew the whole truth of their Selection, maybe not even Mom and Dad. We were all surprised, and will keep on being surprised, by all of the confessions. But something told me, this next one was not something Dad and Mom wanted to share too often.

Everyone settled down and Dad pressed play on the TV. The Report came on, and we watched the other Elite share their presentations. When Mom came on to share her presentation, I heard Dad take a deep breath.

"What I propose wouldn't be simple. It might even be painful, but I genuinely believe it would benefit our entire kingdom. I think we should eliminate the castes."

I raised my eyebrows, unsure what was going to happen next. When TV-Mom finished the presentation, Grandpa Clarkson asked how we would take them away. Mom flipped through a book and the screen blacked. 

Dad looked up and waved all the maids, butlers, and guards away in the room. "What happens next, I would not like to be discussed outside of this room. This is one of my deepest secrets, one that I intended to take to my grave until I told your mother." He stared at all of us completely serious, and we nodded.

"After the cameras of the Report turned off, my father yelled at America and I. The book that you saw her flip through was one of Gregory Illea's diaries. When I told him that it was I that gave her the books, he was furious. He told me to eliminate her, but I held my ground. But then my father ordered me to see him in his office or he could talk to America." Dad balled his fists.

"I have already told Eadlyn this. But if I hadn't," Dad shook his head and sighed, "many things wouldn't have happened." Dad unbuttoned his shirt and turned his back toward us to reveal scars all over his back. The room gasped, I was frozen.

"What happened Dad?" Kaden asked, shaking. Dad put his shirt back on and buttoned it back up.

"The little 'talk' I had with my father after that Report was the last I would have from him. If I hadn't stood my ground, some of these scars on my back, would be on America's. My mother didn't know about any this and never did, both my father and I made sure of it."

"I decided to take a walk out to the gardens, knowing that I would be going home the next day. But when I passed the hospital room, I bumped into Maxon, who was exiting it with a box in hand. I noticed he was acting very strange. But of course at that moment, the Rebels decided to attack," Mom said.

A whole chapter from Ahren! I was kind of debating between A POV from Ahren or Kaden.... But we will hear from Kaden soon! Please keep up the comments! I enjoy reading your thoughts on this story!

-theselectionseriesfan