Chapter Sixteen

Maxon
"Kriss was a Northern Rebel?" I demanded, balling my fists. America put her hand on mine, trying to calm me. "If I ever get my hands on August...." I muttered angrily.

"Relax Maxon." America instructed. I took some deep breaths.

"Would things have turned out differently if Kriss would have won? Would the Castes still be here?" Eadlyn asked.

I thought for a moment. I had actually never really thought about that. "Probably not. I could recognize that the castes were not making the citizens of Illea happy, so they would have most likely been removed as well." I said, shrugging.

Nodding, Eadlyn beckoned to America to continue telling the story. "I went to my room to relax from all the commotion and my flight. Soon I had a visitor." America smiled at me.

I smiled back. "I gave her two gifts. One was the house that your Grandma lives in now, and the other was some letters."

Ahren smiled, amused. Eadlyn rolled her eyes, "Letters? It must run in the family. Thank goodness that has skipped over me."

Ahren and I laughed.

"By that point, Maxon had told me that he had chosen me and I had told him that I loved him, for the first time," America said suddenly biting her lip.

I laughed, knowing what she was uncomfortable about. "You can skip over that part, darling," I whispered into her ear.

She nodded, but still blushed. "The next morning, when we woke up-"

"Wait, what?" Kaden exclaimed.

I laughed again. "Don't worry, we didn't break the law."

America shot me a glare. She cleared her throat and continued. "Maxon had begun tickling me, which caused me to shriek."

Aspen sighed, "And you can't imagine my surprise when I ran into that room about to attack someone, and saw them together."

Ahren
Oh my god. This story of my parents was like one of those TV shows that Eadlyn had liked to watch when she was younger.

"I screamed when Aspen ran in, but soon realized it was him. He left the room, and Maxon soon followed, after getting dressed. I heard him tell Aspen that I would 'appreciate his discretion'. After a bit I found the courage to confront you," Mom said, looking to Aspen.

"She told be that- Aspen coughed- didn't... well, you know." We all nodded. He sighed again. "And then Maxon came around the corner, and saw America's body pressed into mine from the intensity of her defence."

I covered my head with my hands. Oh great...

"And I am going to guess that didn't go well with you?" I asked Dad.

He shook his head in response. "I had a hunch about it, but I knew America would tell me if it was true, so I dismissed it. I told Aspen that I would send him to New Asia to die, if he didn't get out of my sight." He looked at Aspen and Mom. "I was furious and heartbroken."

"I said a lot of things I would regret, before I announced who my wife would be," Dad said.

"But one thing was clear, I was going home," Mom said sadly.

Dad sighed again. "Of course you know that Southern Rebels attacked, killing my parents, Lady Celeste, and more." Eadlyn, Kaden, Osten, and I all nodded.

"Well, a rebel had a gun pointed at America. I jumped in front of her, and was shot. A couple inches to the left, and I would have died," Dad said.

Mom looked into Dad's eyes. "I found you under a table, and you told me something I would never forget. I believe that was when I really fell in love with you."

He smiled, and whispered "Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you'd like. It was only ever yours to break anyways. Every beat of my heart is yours, and I don't want to die without you knowing that."

Eadlyn sighed, as the rest of us smiled. "See? A fairytale." She pointed out to us. We all laughed.