Chapter Fourteen

Aspen
I slammed a door shut. I needed to clear my mind. So many things were revealed today, that I had never thought of during The Selection. I felt.... What did I feel right now? I pushed open the door to the kitchen. "Aspen!"

I turned to the voice. "Oh, hey Carter."

"Taking a break from all the madness?" Carter asked, taking a sip from his glass.

"Yeah. Was getting a little too much for me." I grabbed myself my own glass and made myself a drink. Sitting down at the table with Carter, I took a long sip.

"So, you and America dated?" he whispered.

I nodded and took another sip, hoping the pain would go away.

Although I didn't love America anymore, at least in a romantic way, retelling our story brought back memories I wished I could forget. But there was no other way to tell Eadlyn, Ahren, Kaden, and Osten about our past. I stared blankly at the wall in front of me.

Carter waved his hand in front of my face, "Hey! You okay?"

I gave him a weak smile, "As okay as anyone in my position would be."

"You want to talk about it?" he asked, concerned.

"Maybe later. Not when these feelings are 'fresh,' you know? I think the more I talk about it, the more I would want to punch Maxon in the face." I sighed, and took another sip from my drink.

Carter nodded, and copied me. I knew then that it was going to be a long night.

Maxon
When Aspen left, no one fought him. Not that we had a chance to, but still. I would be like that too, if my ex girlfriend was talking about her love life, and it involved me. America pursed her lips, probably thinking about that as well. Finally choosing to proceed with the story, she began speaking. "During the next Report, Celeste sensed that I was tense. Soon, all of us were holding hands in the background." Then she mumbled something along the lines of "The Perfectionist, the Sweetheart, The Diva, and me."

I gave her a confused glance, but she didn't seem to notice. She was lost in her thoughts. Maybe it was about Celeste. Or what was coming next. I took America's hand. "It was Christmas Eve, the day America had to choose. Your mother had a point, about me not showing her every piece of me. So I showed her the last part, as far as she was concerned. My room."

"It was huge. But when I saw Maxon's collage of pictures.... I was at loss of words." America said, snapping out of her daze. Our eyes locked, and she bit her lip. "I wanted America to tell me she wanted me. To be mine alone. But she didn't because she thought that I would be saying things like that to... other girls."

"Maxon started to kiss me into a confession, when there was a knock on the door." she paused. "A guard came in and whispered something to me. He sa-" 

America put a hand out, stopping me. "The guard said that my dear father had died."

Aspen
"You going to be heading back in there?" Cater asked finally.

I downed the rest on my drink. "I probably should. They are about to get to the part about the attack."

"Oh. Better bring in a box of tissues. That is going to be rough." Carter said, shaking his head.

I nodded, "Do me a favor? Can you tell Lucy that it may be a bit until I come?"

"Sure. You go on ahead." He patted my back and I stood. Stepping out of the kitchen, I traveled down the halls back toward the Women's Room. Just as I was about to open the door, I heard crying coming from inside. Should I go in? Maybe give them a moment? Sighing, I took a seat in a chair by a window, and waited for the crying to stop.

America
I tried to keep the tears in, but that soon failed. Maxon moved to embrace me. Soon, I felt everyone else in the room hugging me. "Even after all these years, I still cry about it. I was really close to my Dad, you know. I never really got to say goodbye," I sobbed. Maxon wiped a tear off my cheek, and I smiled weakly at him. Once my tears stopped flowing, I grabbed a tissue from a table next to me.

"Next thing I knew, I was on a plane back to Carolina. Aspen was with me to guard, along with Lucy to help," I sighed.

As if on cue, Aspen stepped back into the room. Everyone looked up at him, but he just moved back to the seat. No one said a word.

Finally, Aspen looked up at Maxon and I. "Sorry I ran out like that," he said after a bit. I nodded, sniffing.

"What part are you at?" Aspen asked.

"My father. And we just arrived in Carolina." I explained. I thought for a second, running through all that happened those few days... Oh no! I swore under my breath.

Maxon didn't know my father was a Northern Rebel.

How is Maxon going to react?!?!?!

Happy Birthday Eadlyn and Ahren!!!!! This is so fitting, considering this fanfiction takes place on their birthday. :D

-theselectionseriesfan