Chapter 3

“ Did you like him?” My sister asked me sitting beside me.

“ I did not hear or feel music,” I said with a pout face.

“ It happens in movies only. Come on Radhika be serious.”

“ No I did not like him. He is like more handsome compared to my beauty.” I said honestly.

“Who said that you are not beautiful. You don't know yourself. Don't underestimate yourself.” Riddhima told me with assuring smile.

“ Still….” I wanted to argue. But mom stopped us both and sat at the front couch opposite to us.

“ Radhika…. Umm…. How should I say this? ….” My mom was lost at words.

“ I know they rejected me. I was already prepared. You don't have to search for better words to convey me.” I said with a faint smile.

My mind started working. Well it's good that they said no. I was not ready for marriage at first place and just for mom's sake I got ready to meet the boy. Everything happens for a good reason. I assured myself that I am good now same like before. I felt relieved and automatically I smiled and looked at mom.

“ Now I can complete my college peacefully.” I smiled excitedly.

“ Your happiness is short lived Radhika.” My mom said with a broad smile.

Me and Riddhima just exchanged glances. And looked at mom to understand what she was trying to say.

“ Radhika they want to do engagement this weekend.” My mom said. And I could make out that she was stressed.

“ But nobody asked my opinion before arranging the engagement. I mean I did not say yes.” I said with a frown.

And I ran towards my room and closed the door behind me. I wanted to understand what's going on and many questions were arising in my brain. With so much negativity around married couples I was very skeptical about this whole thing. I was really not able to digest that a person like me can be liked by someone so handsome. Yes I agree he was handsome with the most perfect smile.

My mom and my sister were still discussing in the family room. And they did not even bother to come after me and convince me, well did they know that I really liked him but I felt I don't deserve him. Oh god what should I do. I need to discuss this with someone but whom??

Here you go the very moment I wanted to talk to someone my dad called me. I was not sure whether to talk to him or no. But I gave in and picked the call.

“Hello, Radhika. How are you?” my father said. I could feel in his voice that he was very calm. I replied that I am good. And did not wanted to talk much.

Then my father started, “Radhika I want to share with you something. I know many things must be going on in your mind. When I married your mom I was really happy. We had an arranged marriage and I really liked your mom. But sometimes your choice is not the most important thing but the choice of others is what matters. I know the life should be on our own choices. I used to think the same but what your mom and I have gone through will make you think the life in a different way. My mom and my sisters wanted to have the same control on me as they had before my marriage. But I started to give attention to your mother like my mom and sisters and this did not get very well with them. I don't want to discuss this deeply or nor do I want your forgiveness but the important thing I want to say is that have faith and belief in your mom. Don't take any decisions in a hurry. Give a chance to everyone in your life to explain their perspective.” He stopped for a moment and I could hear he sighed. I was still sitting silently and trying to understand what he wanted to say but my mother's loneliness and struggle was in my mind.

“Don't take decisions hastily and respect your mom. And all the best for your future. Take care.” As father was going to end the call, I stopped him and asked, “do you love my mom?” And he replied, “like I always did.”

Saying this he hanged the call and I opened the door and went to my mom who was in her room now with my sister. They were selecting dresses and jewelry. I came inside and hugged my mom.

“I did not agree for this engagement then why this preparation?” I almost whispered in her ears and she just smiled and said, “I am very happy for you.” And she kissed on my forehead.

“Ok mom I will leave now. And Radhika don't bother mom much. And you know what is the day today?” Riddhima asked.

“Wednesday.” I answered puzzled.

“And weekend is after how many days?” she teased.

“Two days. But I am not at all nervous.” I said feeling confident.

“I know but let me tell you don't come after me when you're feeling nervous.” She gave a sweet smile. And picking her purse she bid us bye and left.

My mom too started making lists and phone calls. I asked my mom, “can I go out for sometime?” My mother nodded and I left the room. I went to my room changed my clothes into pink shirt and blue jeans. Took my cycle.

I went to the beach. It was almost dark and I started feeling the cool breeze around me. I removed my slippers and started walking along the seashore. Many things were running in my mind. My mom will be alone after my marriage. And why did Arjun like me. Could there be any third reason behind his decision? I was in deep thoughts and did not realize that someone was behind me for a very long time now. I turned abruptly and lost my balance.