Eviesdropping

I jog back to the field to find some way to pass the time. Maybe I can watch the extra cheer practice or something. 

But instead, I find something a lot more awful.

I notice two people sneaking along behind the bleachers, holding hands. I jog over to see who, and my heart thuds to the ground when I recognize Chad. And Evie...

Evie lets out a girly giggle as she lets Chad drag her under the bleachers. I climb up on the steps so I can listen in and make sure Chad doesn't do anything.

"Is everybody at home as pretty as you?" Chad asks, stopping under me.

Evie looks down shyly. "I like to think I'm the fairest of them all." they both laugh then Evie hesitates. "How many rooms in your castle?"

"Oh!" Chad scoffs. "Too many to count." 

Evie laughs and leans in to kiss Chad, but he gives a gross look and starts talking again. "You really nailed that chemistry problem today!" Evie backs up and opens her eyes, letting her face drop. "You're gonna have all the nerds in love with you." Chad prods. 

Evie grins nervously. "I'm not that smart!"

Yes, you are, Evie! Don't play dumb to get the guy! I think. Stupid Chad. He probably wants her to do his homework for him or something. 

"Oh, come on." Chad says.

"No, really, I'm not!" Evie rolls her eyes, still grinning. "But I'm...I'm really good at sewing, and cooking, and cleaning. You know, like your mother, Cinderella! Without the ratty dress."

Chad laughs and tilts his head to acknowledge it. Evie reaches into her red purse. "See this?" She holds up a small gold mirror with broken glass in the center. "If I ask it where something is, it tells me!" Evie says proudly. 

Oh, no...

Chad looks at her in disbelief. "Are you kidding me?"

"No!" Evie laughs. Chad takes the mirror from her hand and holds it to his mouth like a phone. 

"Where's my cell phone?" He asks, then holds it to his ear. Honestly. It's not going to talk to you, Chad!

Evie laughs. "It won't work for you, silly."

Chad realizes how stupid he looks and lowers the mirror. "No biggie. My dad will just get me a new one."

"Prince Charming." Evie breathes.

"Yeah." Chad says. 

"And Cinderella." Evie says in wonder. "And Fairy Godmother." Evie trails off, but keeps talking like she has to. "Hey. I heard her wand is in some boring museum. Do they always leave it there?"

Chad pulls his normal so-close-yet-I'm-busy trick. He leans in then pulls back, exasperated. "I'd really like to talk, but..." He turns away and slams against the bleachers. "I'm just swamped! Unless..." He turns to Evie.

"Unless?" She asks hopefully. 

He starts to take his backpack off. "If you could knock all my homework out along with yours, then...I mean, we could get together sometime...Hang." Chad says with his trademark grin.

Evie smiles nervously and takes his bag, hugging it to her chest. "Okay!"

Chad smiles and pats her. "Thanks, babe."

"Yeah!" Evie says, then Chad leaves her dreaming. "Bye."

I start to get off the bleachers, but Doug gets in first. "I couldn't help but overhear---"