Cotillion and Confessions

"Ellie! Earth to Ellie!"

I snap out of my daze, turning to Ben. "Sorry, what?"

"I said, how is Cotillion going?" He repeats. 

"Oh, um... Well, Jane's doing most of it, but it's going well." I say. I rub my arms as we watch Mal answer questions from reporters. She looks a bit nervous. Who wouldn't be, bombarded with questions like that?

"Mal! Over here, please! Mal!"

"Only three days until the royal Cotillion! Ever think like you would be Lady of the Court?"

"How does it feel to be the most envied girl in Auradon?"

"Do you like being blonde?"

"Is your mother still a lizard?"

I elbow Ben. "Seriously?"

He clears his throat and shoulders through the crowd. "Okay, okay. Excuse me. Uh, we will let you know if...and when that, uh, particular situation changes." Ben tells the reporters. I shove my way in too to stand next to Mal. She smiles gratefully. 

"Princess Elicia! How are your new powers adapting?"

"Is your mother still afraid of you?"

I stare at the reporter who asked that. Ben clears his throat again and the reporters move on. 

"Did you ever think you'd be with a villain kid?" Someone asks Ben. 

Ben gives a tired laugh. "We're done here." The reporter crowd erupts into questions and complaints, and FG comes in. 

"Shush, shush! Shush shush! Shush shush!" She clasps her hands. "This is still a school, so if you are here, you are either skipping, or trespassing."

They erupt into questions again, but she ignores them. "Shush! Shush! Shhh. Shhh. Shhh!" She gestures for them to leave and they sadly start to turn away. 

"Thank you guys!" Ben says. 

FG nods to us and then leaves. Mal looks at Ben then. "Whew!"

"Don't pay any attention to them." Ben tells her. 

"That's a lot easier said then done. Right?" Mal says. 

"I know. I know." Ben sighs. "Maybe we should do something. GO somewhere. Get away."

"Yeah!" Mal says hopefully. 

"Yeah, what do you---" Ben looks at his watch. "I have a council meeting. I'm so late."

"That's okay!" Mal assures him. Someone elbows me. 

"Hi, Evie." I tell her. 

"She's crushing hard." Evie whispers. "He needs to do something with her before she explodes."

"I agree." I tell her. "I'm completely invisible when he's here. We all are."

Evie nods. Then she grabs Mal's arm. "If we don't do your fitting for your gown right this minute, you'll be dancing in your bathrobe, okay? Hi." She tells Ben. "Let's go. Let's go!" She drags Mal off. 

"Bye, Ben!" Mal calls back. 

"Bye." He says. 

"Have fun!" I tell Mal, who promptly sticks her tongue out at me. 

"KING BEN! KING BEN! PRINCESS!" Suddenly the reporters are back, with all of their annoying questions. 

"Princess, who are you going to Cotillion with?"

"Ben, where is Mal going?"

"What will your dress look like, Princess?"

"How did your mother react to your power breakthrough?"