Brit's Beginnings

Picture above is how I kind of imagined Brit. I know that's Willow Shields, but Prim hit so close to home I couldn't help it. (At least I think that is a picture of Willow Shields... It came up when I looked her up.)

"OH MY GOODNESS!" Brit practically screams, trying to fend back a wiggly Dude. I laugh at her delighted expression and Dude's complaints that she won't let him lick her. 

She sets him down on the ground and his tail wags. Carlos smiles at Brit's expression. She turns to look at me. "If this isn't the best thing in Auradon, I'm going to be surprised." She goes back to whispering. 

"Dude is probably the best you can get, but Auradon has a lot to offer." I tell her. 

She beams. "Like what?"

"Like the food here, for instance." I say.

She seems to think for a moment. "How many quarter meals a day?"

"Um...what?"

"Quarter meals." She says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "It's what my father gave me. A quarter of a meal. Twice a day."

I glance at Carlos. He signals for me to stop asking about it, but Brit goes on. "I don't think I ever had as much food as everyone else. Everyone else bought lunch at school. I would have given anything to eat the slop everybody else ate. Gil sometimes shared with me. When the teachers weren't looking."

I kneel down. "Brit, was your dad... um, mean? Meaner than the other villains?"

She ponders for a moment. "Well, I rang the bells. It was hard, because I'm not very big. But I never met anybody else's parents. Why?"

I stand up again and look cautiously at Carlos. He gives me a look that clearly says shut up I will explain later.

"No reason." I assure Brit. She beams and Dude whines.

"I'm bored! Take me for a walk! Now!"

"Dude, you literally just walked over here with me!" Carlos protests.

"So?"

Brit kneels and pull Dude into her lap. Surprisingly, he doesn't wiggle away and lets her pet his head. "Oh, I like this girl. She can walk me!"

Carlos shrugs. "If she's okay with it. Just don't put a leash on him."

For the first time, Brit looks angry. She stands and lets Dude down. "I wouldn't dream of it." She whispers firmly. Then her face goes back to the gentle smile and she opens the door to my dorm. Dude races and out Brit chases after him, laughing. 

I smile. "She's sweet."

Carlos sighs. "You have no idea how different she could have turned out if she hadn't met Gil."

"Why?"

He rubs his forehead and sits down on my bed next to me. "It's kind of a long story, and it's probably her business, but you need to know which topics to avoid." He takes a deep breath in and is about to start talking again when Dizzy rushes in.

"There you are!" She exclaims. She races over to me and tugs me off the bed. "You said you wanted your hair back to gorgeous, right? Then come on!"

I look back at Carlos. "I'll tell you later." He promises. 

"Exactly, see, he's busy right now, let's go!" Dizzy says. "I already have a line of like seventy people, and boy did they get mad when I said I was doing you first." She giggles and I let her pull me out of the room. I hear Carlos leave and lock it behind him and I wave behind my shoulder.