The Isle of the Lost

"Okay. Okay!" Mal says. "I...I guess you're coming." She wipes her last tear away. 

"Thank you." I tell her. She looks back at me and a bit of her old smirk comes back. 

"Nice jacket, but it's not enough. You're wearing jeans already, that's good." She sighs and rubs her forehead. "I'm not E, but here." She pulls one of Evie's older pale blue shirts out and throws it at me. "That'll do."

___________________________________

"You're sure this will get us there?" I ask her. 

She turns back. "Not at all. But it's all I've got. Just going to say... on the Isle, magic doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure if that stretches to yours. You sure about this?"

"Positive." I climb onto the purple bike behind her. She blows out once and opens her spellbook. She's still crying a bit, so her voice sounds stuffy when she says, "Noble steed, proud and fair, you shall take me anywhere." She breathes in and closes the book, putting her goggles on and starting her bike. 

"You ready, Ellie?"

"Yes." 

"Okay. Please work." She mutters. Then she starts her bike and drives right onto the water, trailing behind green sparks. We're moving way faster than I thought we would, and I look back at Auradon once. It doesn't look so bad, from here. It's beautiful. 

Then we hit the barrier. 

And when I say hit, I literally mean hit. Green magic crawls from where we crossed in, and I almost fall of the bike from the backlash. Mal looks back. 

"Hang on, we're almost there." She says. She doesn't look like she's been crying now. We rocket past trashy beaches and filthy stores. People shriek when they see Mal coming and dive out of the way. Mal's laughing and she doesn't stop or slow down. One person makes a squealy sound when they duck out of the way, and I find this so funny I actually laugh. Mal glances back. 

"See what I mean?" She calls. We finally stop next to a poster of her and Ben. She curls her lip in disgust and rips the paper off the wall. she balls it up and drops it on the ground. We keep going then until she brings us into a garage, sort of. She gets out with her helmet under her arm. I follow her as she picks a rock up and throws it at a "Danger, flying rocks" sign. The rock hits the sign and sends it backwards a little. The wire gate next to us opens up. 

"This was where we stayed when we didn't want to be near our parents." She tells me. 

"Like an apartment?"

"Sort of." She leads me up the stairs until we get to a huge space. I can clearly pick out which rooms are for who. 

"You paint all these?" I ask, running my hand along a picture of the four of them. She nods and sets her helmet down. She runs a hand through her blonde hair. 

"It feels so great to be back here." She says under her breath. She twirls her finger through her hair again and pauses. 

"How would you feel at meeting another Isle kid?" She asks. 

"Who?"

"Daughter of Drizella." She smiles and takes a deep breath in. "Dizzy. She does hair. And..." She lets go of her hair. "I definitely need it."

I laugh. "Yeah, that blonde is really a stretch from your old purple. Sure, I'll come. Why not?"

She grins. 

________________________________________

"Okay, it should only be Dizzy in here. But Stepmother would be fine, too." She stops at a sign that says closed until midnight. "Ha! They haven't taken this down yet." She ignores the sign and pushes the door open. I look up at the sign.