What He Left Behind - Three

Chapter Three

He Wants Back In

          "What do you mean we "need to talk"?"  I spat out at him as I stepped outside and shut the door to my apartment.  It was chilly out today, and I rubbed my forearms trying to warm them up.  "After five fucking years, not one word said to me during that, you want to talk now?"

          "You don't understand . . .  I've changed, I really have," he sounded hurt but I brushed it off.  I was hurt; I was supposed to be the one begging for him back.  "I want you back.  Please . . . " 

          "You want me back?!"  I said through gritted teeth.  "Are you fucking serious?" 

          "I'm serious, I want you back, Kat," he said, his voice low. 

          "You don't get to call me that anymore," I snapped, suddenly.  "You can call me Katrina, or Miss-I-Know-I-Fucked-Up-And-I-Realize-I-Won't-Get-You-Back."  Well, that came out more bitter than I expected.  Oh well, I though and glared him down.  He deserved it after leaving me the way he did. 

          "Please, Katrina . . .  I love you," his voice was still a whisper, and it emitted more pain than I thought was possible.  Scoffing, I got just inches from his face and shoved him back. 

          "You should've thought about that five years ago, Jared!"  I screamed, shoving him again.  He stumbled back and caught himself right before he fell.  "Do you even know what you left behind?!"  My voice only seemed to get louder with every word and people were now standing on their balconies or peeking out windows.  I didn't care.  He deserved this. 

          "What do you mean what I left behind?  I left you behind, babe . . . "  His voice was low, I knew only I could hear him so I scoffed again and turned around to go back into the house before I decided to tell him.  Spinning on my heel, I got centimeters from his body and I could feel the tension radiating off of our bodies. 

          "I was pregnant, you inconsiderate asshole!"  I screamed and shoved him back.  This time, he didn't dare try and stop the fall.  He landed with a thud on his tailbone and it sounded like it hurt.  Good, I thought.  Bastard deserves it. 

          "Y-you w-were . . .  P-p-preg-gnant?"  He asked, shock written all over his face.  "I'm a . . .  Father?" 

          "No, fuckface, you aren't," his face twisted up in confusion.  "You will never be her father!  You will never be a part of her life!  She doesn't need to be walked out on, too!" 

          "She's my daughter," he stated, standing up and staring me down.  He looked pissed off now, and it made a course of joy flow through my body.  "I want to be in her life." 

          "Well, you should've thought about that before you left us!"  I screamed.  With that, I spun around and rushed back into the house. 

          When I walked up the steps, I saw little Ladybug's face plastered against the window.  She was staring down at her birth father in awe.  I felt like a complete and total bitch for her to hear that.  Rushing over to her, I saw little tears glisten on her face, dripping down and landing on her shirt. 

          "Oh, Ladybug . . . "  I whispered, hoarsely as she rushed over into my arms.  "I'm so sorry you had to see mommy like that . . .  You should've have heard those bad words coming out of my mouth."