What He Left Behind - Five

Chapter Five

He Isn't Around

          "How's my baby?"  I frantically asked, the words pouring from my mouth as the dried tears caused my face to itch.  "Is she okay?  Is she awake?  What happened?  I don't even know what was going on, I was out.  Max is her babysitter and I just . . .  I don't know anymore.  There was a fight with me and my ex earlier an-"

          I was cut-off. 

          "Ma'am, calm down.  Did you know your daughter had asthma?"  I nodded at his question, though it seemed like a stupid one.  "Do you know where her inhaler is?" 

          "It's on her nightstand by her bed.  There's one in the kitchen and umm . . .  There's one in the bathroom.  I think there's an inhaler in my room, too," I said, still frantic.  "You didn't answer my question.  Is my baby okay?"

          "She will be fine, ma'am.  May I get your name?"  He asked and I nodded, standing to go with him.  There was a chart I had to fill out, and Max stood next to me, rubbing my back like he would his own mother's if she was in this predicament. 

          "I'm so sorry, Kat . . . "  He whispered and I looked over at him.  He had tears in his eyes and he looked overly stressed and tired. 

          "Hey . . .  Umm, I can take care of it from here," I said and he shook his head "no".  "Why don't you go sit with her, then?  I want you to get some rest, give her a kiss for me, please?" 

          "Kat . . ." He said slowly with a warning and a hint of agony in his tone.  "She's taken care of.  I'm here for you right now, so just deal with it." 

          "Max, why did you apologize?"  I asked after I was halfway through the page. 

          "We were messing around and then she just . . .  She stopped and clutched her throat with one of her hands.  I grabbed her inhaler from the kitchen but the . . . "  He got so upset, he broke down.  Immediately regretting my question, I wrapped my arms around him and kissed his forehead. 

          "Shh . . . "  I whispered and rubbed his back.  "Honey, it isn't your fault.  You can never know when she's going to have an attack, alright?  I don't blame you and I know Ladybug doesn't either."

          He nodded and sat with his head in his hands while I finished the rest of the forms.  Once I was done, I handed them to the nurse and she quickly walked over to Suri's room, flagging myself and Max over after only a moment.  We hurriedly made it to her room, Max stopped in the doorway when he saw Suri's once purple lips were flushed pink.  I practically ran into her room, collapsing next to her. 

          "Mommy?"  She asked, her voice a small whisper.  "Mommy, why are you crying?" 

          I couldn't take it, I flung myself on the bed with her and cradled her in my arms.  I never wanted to let her go, and I knew it wouldn't be any easier with her in here.  She gripped tightly onto my neck and allowed me to crawl under the covers with her. 

          "Where's Max, Mommy?"  She asked and I looked up, him flying into the room immediately after seeing my expression.  Suri smiled and he dropped to his knees next to her bed.  Gripping her tiny hands tightly in his, he let the tears he had been holding back fall from his eyes. 

          "Devil, my little demon girl . . . "  He whispered, "Suri, baby; I'm so sorry for this . . .  You shouldn't be in here.  I just . . .  You're laugh makes me happier.  You're like a daughter to me, sweetheart.  I'm so sorry, I never meant for this to happen."