What He Left Behind - Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

He's Out And About

          "Hurry up, Kat!"  Max hollard at me as I slowly unbuckled the seatbelt and slid out of the car.  Everything in me was frozen and I didn't know what I was doing.  There was so much going on; so much commotion.  All I could think about was my baby girl and if she was okay...

         My eyes stung with the tears as I ran through the hospital, following Max to her room.  Once we reached it, I froze still.  The doctor was coming out with a bleak smile on his face and nodded at us.  Breathing a sigh of relief, I walked inside.

         Someone stood from next to her bed, but I wasn't paying attention to who it was as I took in Suri's sleeping form.  Sighing, I made my way over to her and collapsed, kissing her hands and forehead before someone cleared their throat.

         "Kat, I'm so happy she's okay..."  A familiar voice said, causing my whole body to freeze.  Looking up, my eyes widened as he came in contact with me.  Wrapping his arms around my shoulders, I heard Max enter the room.

          "What the fuck are you doing here?"  Max growled out between his teeth, pushing Jared off of me.  My eyes locked with his and he smiled deviously, waiting for Max's next move.  My breathing caught in my throat and I felt numb.

         His touch did nothing but remind me of what he was going to do to me in my own apartment and I feared for my daughter's safety.  He smiled, watching Suri's chest lift up before falling back down again.

          "How nice, huh?  For the whole family to be together, again," he smiled earnestly, causing me to shake in my shoes.  I could feel nothing but the thick tension in the room.  Jared walked over to the door before exiting the room.

         Something in my snapped, causing my body to react quickly.  I was in front of Max in a matter of seconds, pushing him back and making him sit in a chair.  His nostrils were flarring and his temper boiled.

         "Baby, don't...  We can worry about it later, please," I begged, turning my gaze to Suri.  He closed his eyes for a moment before nodding.  They snapped open as Suri took in a deep breath and moved around slightly.

         "Mommy...?"  She whispered and I smiled weakly at her.

         "Honey, I'm here...  Mommy's right here," I murmured to her.  One of my hands moved the hair out of her face and the other gripped onto her tiny fingers.  I thought I lost her...  I thought my baby was gone forever.

         "Mommy," she smiled happily at me and giggled.  A tear escaped my eye, but I wiped it away quickly with the back of my hand and laughed.  "What's wrong, Mommy?  What happened?"

         "You had a seizure," I whispered and smiled, again.  I was just happy she was okay and there wasn't anything wrong.  "And Mommy was scared she lost you...  But the doctor fixed you up.  Max is here, too, sweetie.  Oh, I'm so happy you're okay..."

         "You're rambling," Max said as he kissed the back of my head and leaned forward in the chair.  He smiled, taking my hand in his and staring down at her.  She closed her eyes, again and the doctor walked inside, holding a clipboard.

         "Well, she'll be okay for now.  I want to keep her overnight just to make sure she's stable.  Unfortunately, you can't stay with her, but I will call you, personally, if anything goes wrong."  He said, and I nodded.