What He Left Behind - Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Far Away From Him

          "Wake up, sweetheart..." I murmured as I unbuckled Suri's seatbelt. She didn't budge; she just kept snoring and her small chest lifted up and down with her shallow breathing. Max was behind me soon, grabbing the bag from beneath her feet and her teddy bear that had fallen out of her arms on the way here. 

          I smiled up at him as I lifted Suri out of the car and walked over to the cabin. Struggling to juggle Suri and the keys in my arms, Max came over and snatched the keys. I nodded to the gold one with a silver line down the middle and he nodded back to me. Sticking the key in the lock, he turned it and smiled when it clicked. 

          "Told you..." I whisper-yelled and he rolled his eyes. 

          "Told you," he mocked causing me to giggle. Shaking my head, I walked over to one of the bedrooms of the cabin. There were only two, but I figured it didn't matter since Max and I were together now and Suri was old enough to sleep alone. 

          After laying her down in the bed, I wrapped the quilt around her and stuffed her teddy bear back into her hold. She smiled a small smile at the warmth of the stuffed animal and fidgeted until she was comfortable enough to fall back asleep again - which she did in no time at all. 

          Sighing, I headed back toward the main room and smiled at Max. He was looking around in amazement; he'd never been up here before. His mouth was gapping open as he looked at the stuffed game around the small cabin. 

          "This is awesome..." He said and I snickered. 

          "You haven't even seen the good part, yet..." I said softly and he looked at me in confusion. I smiled, gripped his hand and lead him out the door. After making sure it was securely shut, I walked down a short path and we stepped onto the dock. 

          The sun was setting and the deep purples, light pinks and vibrant oranges were mixing together to form the perfect setting. I took a wiff of the fresh, woodsy air and smiled to myself as a light breeze blew my brown hair around my face. 

          "Gorgeous..." He said and I smiled, again. 

          "Isn't it?" I whispered. 

          His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling my back to meet his chest. It was slightly chilly out, so the closeness of our bodies brought me warmth. Leaning his lips down, he kissed my neck and moved up to my ear, fanning out his breath there. 

          "I wasn't talking about the sunset, Kat..." He whispered, making my breathing catch in my throat and my heartbeat intensified. My eyes fluttered a couple times before allowing me to keep them open as I turned to face him. 

          "W-what?" I whispered, my breathing still not normal paced. 

          "You heard me," he murmured back before leaning down and planting his lips on mine. My eyes fluttered, again, before closing altogether. Before I knew it, I was kissing him back and our lips were molding together. 

          They moved in sync with one another as his hand gently moved to the nape of my neck, pulling me closer to him. My body pressed against his while his free hand moved to the small of my back. I crushed my lips more forcefully onto his and ground my hips into his, causing a small but pleasurable moan to come from his throat and into my mouth. 

          "Kat..." He whispered, pushing me away slightly. Though he asked for distance, his hand tangle in my hair, the other gripping my shirt and his lustful ocean blue eyes burned into mine. "We can't. You know that..."