What He Left Behind - Eleven

Chapter Eleven 

He Isn't Going To Hurt You

          "Will I give us a chance...?" I asked myself the question outloud and looked out to the sky. Sighing, I looked back at his blue eyes and smiled, taking his hand in mine and locking our fingers together. His face seemed to light up at that and I laughed a little. 

          "So, can I take this as a yes?" He asked and I nodded, smiling at him. "You know, I am sorry I kissed you like that. What are you going to do about Brian?" 

          "Tell him things were complicated and that I'm with someone now..." I said slowly and Max nodded. We stood and walked into the apartment, our hands still locked together. Sitting back down on the couch, I relaxed into it and Chester scrambled up onto my lap. 

          "Mommy...?" I heard Suri say from her bedroom door. 

          "I'll be right back," I said and stood. Walking over to her room, I opened the door and saw she was standing there with her hands covering her pajama bottoms and an upset look on her face. "What's wrong, Ladybug?"

          "I wet the bed, again..." She whispered, clearly ashamed.

          "It's alright, honey. Go to the bathroom and take off you clothes so you can take a bath. Mommy'll be in there in a little bit, okay?" She looked up at me with a look of unwillingness. "What, honey?" 

          "Max is still here..." She said, her voice a quiet whisper. "I don't want him to laugh at me." 

          "Ladybug," I said and sat down on the floor in front of her. "Max used to have a bed wetting problem himself. He won't laugh at you - no one will. Besides, he understands and he knows it isn't your fault, okay?" 

          "Okay!" She said happily and ran over to the bathroom. 

          Sighing, I stood and walked to the living room. Grabbing the febreeze, I headed back to Suri's bedroom and turned on the light. Taking the sheets off like I did just a day or two ago, I threw them in the washer in the hall and started it. Then, I went back and made sure nothing else smelled before grabbing a pair of her sweats and a t-shirt. 

          Once I was in the bathroom, I started the bath and made sure it wasn't too hot or cold. Then, Suri slipped into the bath and smiled. I smiled back at her before washing her hair and then letting her play in the tub for awhile as I went back out to Max. 

          "What happened?" He asked without looking up from Chester. 

          "She wet the bed and was afraid because you were still here." I said and he nodded. "I mentioned that you had a bed-wetting issue when you were little and it changed her mind about the whole situation. I'm sorry if you didn't want her to know that..."

          "No, sweetie," he said and stood. Walking over to me and pecked my lips and looked into my brown eyes. "I don't mind it at all. She's young, and I know she's just looking for understanding for the things that happen. It's alright." 

          "Thank you..." I whispered and hugged him before going to put the febreeze back under the sink where it should've been before. Then, I headed back to the bathroom and wrapped Suri in a warm purple towel and let her dry off. Max came into the bathroom and looked at me with pure worry. 

          "What?" I asked, my voice slow and flat. I didn't know what my problem was. I all of a sudden felt sick and didn't even want to do anything except lay down and relax. Maybe I've had too much Mommy-duty lately...