Chapter 5 - Words

To Whom It May Concern in the Angarden Household,

It is with the deepest regret imaginable that you must be informed that while performing a difficult task in the service of His Majesty, King Erik Del Tulin, Liam Angarden passed to the next life. He died an honorable death, serving his king and country until the last. His Majesty intends to bestow full honors Master Angarden. You have our deepest condolences for your loss.

~Rufous Swelen, secretary of state

The words were so cold. So lifeless. Holding so little feeling for the meaning they carried. They meant death to a man who should have lived out his life to the fullest. They meant a life had been cut short, and for me, they meant my dearest companion and friend was never coming home.

"Well." Mother averted her gaze from the letter, turning to look out the window. For a moment, I could have sworn there were tears in her eyes. Then she turned to me, her eyes fierce and animalistic. "Here is the end of his foolishness." She snarled cruelly. "He was a man bound for such an end."

I couldn't breathe. My lungs seemed to stop working, and I could barely keep myself upright. I was capable only of returning her gaze, locking my eyes on her thick features.

"You may go now." She said coldly. "It is done." There was no remorse in her expression now, no pain of loss.

I turned to the door, emptiness overwhelming my soul. There was no hope in the dry words written on that paper of death. It was all so final, so sure. He was dead. Gone. Forever.

"Typical for him to find his end in such a manner. Only the lowest sort of man would leave his family in such a rot." Adella's voice was threaded with animosity, and the words were evidently spoken for my benefit.

"You're wrong." I suddenly found my voice, turning about to face her. "He was a good man, the best there ever was. You didn't deserve to have him as a father, nor you to have him as a husband." I spat at Mother. "It was you who sent him away. You wanted him out of your way, because you're all spoiled, disgusting balls of flesh. You have no souls, no hearts, no feelings." My voice gained volume until I was almost screaming the words, tears streaming down my face. "And I hope you rot in hell where you belong."

Without waiting for a response, I whirled and stumbled from the room as fast as my feet could carry me. They were monsters, animals, and I had never felt so helpless in their midst. They held the power now, and I was simply another tool in their hands now.

I flung myself up the winding stairs to his study, careless of the bruises my legs and arms suffered in my mad flight. There in the darkness, I sank heavily to my knees and gasped for breath. My tears stopped as though they had never begun, and I collapsed against his chair.

My chest squeezed painfully, and I gasped out wheezing breathes. He is gone. He is gone. He is gone. The words played over and over in my brain, creating a back thundercloud before my eyes. Then blessed darkness enveloped me in a world where there was only life.

"Miss Bree." A hand gripped my shoulder and pulled me to a sitting position. "Oh, Miss Bree."

Something cool was pressed to my forehead, and I could just make out Greta and Ava's faces in the gloomy atmosphere. I groaned, wondering what time it was. It must be nearing night, I guessed.

"Ah, my poor child." I heard Greta whisper, and a drop of liquid splashed on my face. "There, there, my sweet."

"Greta," Ava's voice interrupted. It was threaded with concern. "The lady wants her. We can't keep her waiting any longer."