Chapter 28 - Dreams, Letters, & Reality

A hand grabbed hold of my arm, spinning me around. It was evening time, and the light was soft and shadowy. Rowdy voices shouted and sang drinking songs, and I realized I was standing right outside a tavern.

I turned to go, but someone grabbed hold of me. I looked down at my arm and the hand holding me back. I didn't know why, but the necessity to get out of here flooded me. There was an urgency within me propelling me forward. I couldn't stay.

I tried pulling free, but the hand held me fast. A fierce need to get away took hold of me, and I spun back, striking my captor full in the face as hard as I could manage. An unknown emotion clawed at my insides. Could it be helplessness?

A stream of curses drew my attention to my captor. His face was nothing more than a blur in the dim lighting. Strangely enough, I felt like I knew him, but try as I might, I couldn't recognize him.

"I guess it's my fault for teaching you that." His voice was dead and emotionless.

"Let me go." The words were foreign and strange coming from my mouth. For whatever reason, it felt like keeping my voice level took every ounce of my self-control.

"Like hell." Anger flared to life in his tone. "You can't just come here and say that and expect me to just let you walk away. Explain it, Bree. Tell me what's going on." His voice softened slightly. "Let me help you."

A lump threatened to seal off my throat, and I struggled to breathe. I opened my mouth and then snapped it shut. I couldn't tell him. I had no idea what I needed to explain, but there was an instinctive knowledge that I must never, ever tell him what was happening.

Turning away from him, I tried to pull free. Determination sprang to life within me. I had to go.

Before I knew what was happening, he had jerked me toward him. The strength of his pull sent me off balance, and I spun right into him. His hands turned gentle as he cradled my face. It was a silent plea. As confused as I was, I could feel it.

"Don't go." He whispered.

"I can't stay." I said, my voice a strangled choke.

Stooping, he pressed his lips to mine. "Tell me you don't feel it." He whispered, his breath fanning feather light across my face. "Say it to me again. Tell me this isn't what you want."

I tried to breathe and failed miserably. He bent slightly as if trying to look me in the eyes, but I refused to look up at him. What were these emotions swirling around within me?

"Explain it to me, and I'll go. You'll never have to see me again." His voice was barely audible.

Tears welled unbidden in my eyes, and I realized I didn't want that. I wanted this. I wanted to stay with him. I wanted to feel safe in his arms, but something—someone—was stopping me.

Swallowing, I managed to look up. I looked intently at him as if to memorize his every feature with slow deliberateness. Strangely enough, I couldn't distinguish one feature from the next, but for some reason, I felt like this was the last time I would ever see him. With a trembling breath, I inhaled his scent.

Driven by instincts beyond explanation I did the most foolish thing I possible could. Flinging my arms around his neck, I kissed him with all that I had. He enveloped me in his embrace, and for a brief moment, I let myself forget everything else in the security of his arms. And then I ran.

Taking advantage of his loosened grip, I tore myself away from him. Sprinting onto the dim streets, I ran like a madwoman. Gasping and sobbing, I lost myself in the nighttime air.