Chapter 21 - Barbarian's Law

"Bree?" The incessant knocking wasn't in my head.

I stirred and winced. It was dark. I was curled up in a corner somewhere, my brain thick with the fog of restless sleep.

"Bree!" The knocking turned more urgent.

I clambered to my feet, stubbing my toe on the corner of a dresser in my haste. I stumbled toward the sound of the knocking. It was Una's voice.

Fumbling in the darkness, I found the door. It was bolted shut. The memories came back in furious force.

I was in my own room—how I'd gotten here was beyond me. I did remember shutting curtains and bolting the doors. I'd wanted desperately to hide from the world and everyone in it.

I'd barely opened the door a crack before Una flung it wide open. The light was blinding for a moment, but as soon as my vision cleared, I could make out the fear and urgency in Una's expression. Liesl was standing next to her, her own eyes wide with concern.

"You have to come, Bree." Una grabbed my wrist. "You have to tell them! They're going to kill him if you don't."

"What?" I rubbed at my stubbed toe with my free hand.

"It's Kotaro, milady." Liesl's voice was deceptively calm. "You're the only one who can save him."

I straightened up at the name. I sucked in a deep breath and tried to expel the memories of a flashing knife and splattering blood. I felt sick.

"I want nothing to do with it." I said quickly, and their eyes widened at the firmness in my voice.

"What's wrong?" Una asked.

"He's a monster." I said bitterly. "If they kill him, it'll only be a mercy."

"I don't understand." Una looked bewildered. "Why are you—"

Liesl didn't let her finish. Fairly pushing Una aside, she grasped my wrist and pulled me forcefully out of the room. There was unmistakable fire in her eyes, and before I could protest, she was dragging me down the hall.

My bare feet slapped loudly on the cold, stone floor, and I realized just how silent the castle was. We passed a window that revealed the darkness of late evening, but the servants, which would normally be bustling about with preparations for dinner or tomorrow's events, were nowhere to be seen. It was as if we'd entered the world of the dead.

We finally stopped outside the familiar, large doors of the throne room. I gasped for air, but the thick atmosphere offered no relief. Even the guards at the door seemed stiffer than usual.

"You're not in the best condition to make your first court appearance, but this will have to do." Liesl said firmly.

Barefoot and sore, I knew I must make quite the picture. My hair was snarled and loose, and my still slightly damp dress was wrinkled from sleep. There was no way I was going in that room to face the court like this.

"I told you—" I began, but the one of the doors opened a crack, cutting me off.

Ayan's face peered out. His brow was wrinkled with worry, and his jaw was clenched. There was nothing left of the joker who had dared insult the king.

"You're here." His voice was sober. "You found her, I assume? She'll do it?" His eyes darted between me and Liesl.

"She'll do it." Liesl's voice was firm.

"I don't want anything to do with him." I said.

I hadn't known how terrifying Liesl could be. She turned to me, leveling me with a glare that made my knees go weak. Her sweet, kind nature was gone, and I barely recognized the woman before me.