Chapter 20 - Monster

The sunlight woke me up. Splashing through the windows over my face, the rays illuminated the dust motes in the air. Drawing a deep breath, I lay their watching them dance like tiny flecks of gold.

I heard a slight rustling, and turning my head, I saw Liesl setting out a breakfast tray on a small table by the open window. She was humming softly to herself, and I couldn't help but wonder what had possessed her to marry Ayan.

"Ah, you're awake." She looked at me and smiled. "After last night, I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever wake up again. You had me worried, milady."

Last night. I frowned, trying to remember. Faint recollections of Una helping me with my mask swam about in my head, but the rest of the night was blank. What had happened?

"You don't remember?" Liesl raised a brow. "I'm not surprised." She laughed softly.

It all came back. The strange vision, the phenomenal headache, Aidan in the garden, and Kotaro's face before darkness. Sitting up quickly, I threw the covers off.

"Sit down." Liesl's voice was almost commanding. "After all that sleep, you need some food before you go anywhere."

"How long did I sleep?" My eyes widened.

"It's nearly noon." She smiled. "I told you: I thought you weren't going to wake up."

"Where's Una?" I asked, slowly sitting down on the bed.

"She might still be sleeping. I haven't asked." Liesl continued her work. "She didn't come in until late."

That was a relief. At least I hadn't disturbed her evening. I didn't know how I'd live with myself if I knew I'd spoiled the ball for her.

"Now, come eat." Liesl's voice was as commanding as a queen's.

Had she actually just told me what to do? I raised a brow, but the thought quickly fled from my mind. I hadn't realized how famished I was until I sat down in front of the feast she'd laid out for me. Such a variety of delicious foods had been prepared I hardly knew where to start. Hesitating only for the briefest moment, I devoured every last crumb.

When I'd finished, Liesl helped me into a fairy-like pink dress that made me feel delicate. She pulled my hair back into a simple updo to keep it out of my face, decorating it with tiny, white flowers. She'd brought out the jewelry box when I stopped her.

"Not today, Liesl." I said quickly. "I'd like o go for a walk in the garden, and I fear I'll misplace them." I added as an explanation.

Liesl nodded wordlessly and put the box away. Satisfied, I slid my feet into my shoes. I did not want a repeat of yesterday!

"Would you take me to the garden?" I asked.

"I'm a little busy this morning, milady." Liesl said. "But I'll tell you how to get there."

I looked up, shocked. She'd been willing and ready to do whatever I asked her only yesterday. Her unwillingness to take me aggravated me a little. I didn't particularly want to wander around the palace on my own, and it would make me feel better to have her at my side.

She smiled at me as if she'd read my thoughts. "You can't walk through your life depending on someone else to hold your hand, milady." Her tone was almost maternal. "Now, when you open your door, take a right and go all the way to the end of the hall way. Take a left there, and then it's the first door on your right." And she slipped out of the room with a cheery: "Good luck!"

I stood there for a long moment, considering whether it was actually worth it. My need for the fresh air to clear my head, however, soon overcame my hesitations. Summoning my courage, I opened my door.