Chapter 19 - Visions and Masked Ball

Something in the interaction between Kotaro and I had set my mood off. I listlessly stared at the mirror while Liesl fixed my hair, trying to decide what would be the best way to tell Una. No matter how much I thought about it, however, I couldn't imagine it having a good end.

"Which necklace would my lady like to wear?" Liesl was reserved, too, as though she were lost in thought.

"It doesn't matter. You choose." I said absentmindedly.

She didn't even grunt a reply, and I returned to my thoughts. All my life, I'd thought King Erik must be a great man. My father had spoken of his just nature many times, but now, up close and personal, the veneer was fading, and the truth was coming out. How many other misconceptions was I innocently believing?

The only good people I'd met so far were Una and Aidan. They had been kind to me even when they knew the truth about me. It was surprising to me that they'd both wanted to call me friend when they barely seemed to know each other.

My heartbeat faltered as the door connecting Una's and my room opened quietly. Una crossed the threshold, her head lowered and her shoulders stooped. She seemed even more reserved than she'd been earlier than morning.

"Liesl, you may go." She said quietly, approaching my chair.

Liesl bobbed a curtsy and left without a word. I almost wished she'd stayed, for it might have been a little easier to explain things if she were present.

I'd never felt nervous to be alone with Una, but now, it was uncomfortable. She stood there without saying a word for a long moment, and I tried to summon the courage to disappoint her.

There was nothing for it. "I'm so sorry." I burst out, getting to my feet to face her.

Una looked up quickly, her eyes wide with surprise. I clasped her hands in mine, and she didn't shrink away.

"I lost one of the hair clips you lent to me." I explained, feeling the heated blush color my cheeks. "I don't know how it could have happened. I must have been careless. I'm so sorry!" I ducked my head.

Another long moment of silence passed between us. Biting my lower lip so hard it might have bled a little, I raised my head to look at her. Fat tears pooled in her eyes and spilled over onto her cheeks.

"Oh, Bree!" She flung her arms about me and pulled me close, wheezing a sob.

Was she really that distraught? Confused, I rubbed her back gently and scoured my brain for something to say.

"I'm sorry." It was rather lame, but it was the best I could come up with.

"You're the first girl I've been close with." She said. "You're like a sister I never had, Bree." She stepped back, and I could see her sincerity shining in her eyes amidst the tears. "Whatever happens, I don't want that to change. Don't ever feel like you have to hide or run away from me. I'm always going to be on your side."

Una was in pain. There was no question about it. Something had gone horrible wrong for her to have this sudden outburst.

"Please, Bree, don't leave." The tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I won't." I smiled reassuringly. I was confused, but I knew the only thing for me to do right now was let her know I was here for her.

"We'll be like sisters no matter what?" She looked at me earnestly.

"I'd like nothing more." I hugged her. What could have brought on this sudden onslaught of emotions?

"We should hurry and go." She stepped back, flashing the most genuine smile I'd seen in a while.