Chapter 15 - Sword Dance and Complications

The ballroom was flooded with music and laughter much like the night before. This time, however, there was a less formal feeling to the gathering. People swayed here and there to the orchestral music, holding crystal glasses fit for a king and laughing merrily.

There was no line to greet the king and the prince. Una and I simply walked through the enormous doors and into the fray. My nervousness bubbled within me, and I might have bolted back into the hallway if not for Una's steadying hand on my arm.

The people were all clustered around the edge of the enormous room, I noticed, leaving the center empty. I didn't have a chance to wonder why before Una pulled me to a stop, her grip on me tightening ever so slightly.

"I'm so excited for tonight, Bree." She whispered. "I think something wonderful is going to happen, and I can't wait!"

Wonderful things probably happened around her all the time. Looking at her, I knew she could have no lack of suitable young men vying for her attention. Men, that my sisters would have killed to have look their way only once, probably dreamed of being able to take Una's hand. She could have the sort of romantic life most girls could only fantasized about if that's what she wanted.

"Do you have someone waiting for you back home?" Una asked, her words pouring out of her lips in her excitement. "A gentleman, I mean."

I was taken aback by the question. I'd never had time to think about romance back home, and besides, what good man would look twice at a mangy kitchen maid? The very idea was so preposterous, it was no wonder I'd never even thought of it.

"No." I said, an almost sheepish smile forming on my lips. "I doubt any man back home could be presumed upon to look at me more than once."

"Ah, yes, your mother did nothing for you in that area." Una's lips pressed together in evident agitation for a moment. "You cannot know, then, how exciting it is to wait for someone to come." Her face was beaming again in a moment. "Knowing he'll be here at any moment, walking through the doors. Oh, Bree, I could die of excitement!"

Una was radiant. Her eyes were sparkling with the light of a thousand stars, and it came as no surprise to hear she was bound to someone. I couldn't think who it might be, for I had never met someone of such high worth as Una, and it was hard to imagine any man good enough for her.

"It doesn't matter how many times I see him, I still long to see him again, long to hold his hand. I wish—" For a moment, her expression clouded, but it was only brief. "No! I shan't let it ruin my evening!" She said emphatically.

Una's hand clasped on my arm in an overflow of excitement. She was all but glowing, her eyes sparkling with uncontainable joy. I studied her curiously. This must be what true happiness looked like. It was the first time in my life to witness it.

She looked down at me, and a cherry blush colored her cheeks. "You must think me very foolish. I would apologize, but I can't be sorry. I wish you could understand, Bree. When you see him, I think some of my excitement will make sense. There isn't a man here who is more appealing in any sense of the word."

I offered her a smile. I wasn't sure how to respond or act in the face of her unbridled joy. I was jealous, I realized, that she could feel such things when I'd never been able to. The realization came suddenly: I would have gladly given up all earthly goods and possibilities of riches to feel such joy for myself.

Una stopped a servant and snagged two crystal goblets filled with some kind of yellow-amber liquid. She handed one to me, clinking her own against it.

"I'm so glad I've met you, Bree. This is the first time I've had someone I could share this with." She beamed. "I can't begin to tell you how good it feels." She sipped from her glass, unable to stop smiling.