2

"Are you okay?"

"What's your name?"

"What happened to you?"

"FOR THE LAST TIME, SHUT IT!"The boy shouted again, trying to gain control of the situation.

"Are you okay?"he asked Clara, not shouting for once.

"Well, besides the fact that I'm covered in someone else's blood, I can't remember anything and I don't know where I am, I'm grand,"she replied.

Some laughed, some rolled their eyes, some didn't do anything at all.

Clara stood up, starting to feel claustrophobic as the boys swarmed around her.

There were about thirty- maybe forty - boys. Their clothes were dirty, smeared with sweat.

Clara pushed her way out of the crowd, and took a good look around her.

They stood in vast, grassy field that was encased by four tall, stone walls that were coated in a thick, green ivy. In in the centre of each wall, there was what seemed to be an opening.

To the North East, there was what seemed to be crops being grown.

To the North West, there was a tall building that was sloppily built. Clara thought that it would fall down any day now.

To the South East, there was wooden pens holding animals - sheep, cows, pigs, chickens.

To the South West, there was a small forest area.

There was so much to take in - Clara didn't know where to focus.

The large stone walls caught her attention, and she spent a moment staring at it.

"The hell?"Clara muttered under her breath.

"Don't klunk your pants, Greenie. You'll be fine,"the boy said.

Clara nodded, slightly dazed off, as she bit her lip.

"Get back to work, shuck-faces. I'll take care of the Greenie,"he said.

The boys grumbled under their breaths, but walked away nevertheless.

Clara stood there, not knowing what to say, her hands shaking in fear.

"Follow me,"the boy told her.

Clara nodded, and started to walk, following the boy.

"Name's Nick. You could say I run this place,"the boy explained. "Trust me, I'm not usually like this."

"What is this place?"Clara asked him.

Nick sighed. "Nowhere good,"he answered vaguely. "But don't worry 'bout that now, just do what you're told and slim yourself nice and calm."

The way the boy's spoke felt odd, almost foreign, to Clara. She didn't understand half of their vocabulary, but she didn't bother asking.

"Newt'll show you around, help you settle in 'til tomorrow,"Nick told Clara.

"Hey, Minho,"Nick called to an Asian boy. "Go find Newt, tell him to meet the Greenie here, would ya?"

"Sure,"Minho answered, and ran off to find Newt.

"Now, I've got work to do, but Newt'll be here in a bit,"Nick assured her. "Happy first day, Greenie." And then Nick was gone, walking off to wherever he needed to be.

Clara sighed, and closed her eyes for a second. All of this, whatever this was, it was all too much to take in.

"Hey there, Greenie."

Clara re-opened her eyes, and saw a tall, muscular, boy with medium-length blond hair.

"Hi,"Clara replied, not knowing what else to say.

"Now, I'm supposed to be helping you settle in, and I'm sure you would like to take a shower, get that blood cleaned up."Newt spoke with an odd accent - maybe British.

Clara nodded. She had completely forgotten about the blood when she had seen the walls, and she hated remembering it.

"C'mon, the Box had a whole bunch of stuff sent up for you, whatever you'll need,"Newt told her.

Clara didn't know why - she didn't even know him... but she trusted Newt.

❀✿❀

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey, guys, so I just wanted to say a couple of things...

1. I thought it would be cool if Clara came to the Glade a while before Thomas, so this whole story isn't going to revolve around da romance with Thomas ;-)

2. This fanfiction is going to be based on the book of The Maze Runner, not the movie.

3. Yes, I do ship Thomesa. I just really thought it would be cool if I wrote an OC x Thomas fanfiction, which is why I did this.

4. I made an Instagram account where I'll be posting character posters for my OCs, quotes from my fanfictions and just any other random fandom stuff. My username is also 'thefangirlglader' on Instagram 😊
( 2023 update — this is no longer a thing since it was AGES ago but i do have an insta and a tiktok which you can find at simplyaphrodite.wp ! )

So, that's about it. Feel free to comment anything you would like to see in this book, and I'll definitely consider doing it :-)

Stay classy, sassy and a bit bad-assy
TheFangirlGlader

P.S. I apologize for the long Author's Note 😂