5

"Clara, wake up,"Nick, the leader of the Gladers, said as he tried to wake Clara up.

Clara groaned. "Go away,"she grumbled, her eyes still closed as she tried to swat Nick away.

Newt and Minho, who were eagerly watching them, giggled to themselves. It was obvious that this sort of thing was one of the few forms of entertainment in the Glade.

"Clara, wake up,"Nick repeated himself, now trying to shake Clara awake.

"Go away,"Clara grumbled once again.

"Clara, get up!"

No response.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures,"Nick sighed to himself. He walked out of the room. A few minutes later, he walked back in, carrying a bucket of icy cold water.

"Clara, if you don't get up, I'll pour cold water over you. Ice cold water."

By now, Newt and Minho were im hysterics giggling to themselves.

"You wouldn't do that,"Clara mumbled, her eyes still closed, almost as if she was trying to savor her last few seconds of the comfort of her bed.

"She's right. We all bloody know you wouldn't do that, Nick,"Newt agreed.

"Yeah, but I would." Minho grabbed the bucket and poured the whole bucket of water over her.

Clara's eyes shot open as she let out a high-pitched scream, throwing her bedsheets off of her and jumping out of bed, violently shaking from the cold.

"What the holy hell was that for?!"she screamed at the giggling Gladers.

"Toughen up, sweetheart,"Minho said sarcasstically, then walked out of the room. Clara gave him a filthy look.

"Be ready in 15 minutes,"Nick chuckled, then left the room as well.

Newt just stood there, laughing to himself, not saying anything.

"Well, are you going to get me a towel?"Clara squealed, the water still making her shiver.

❀✿❀

Breakfast. That was maybe one of the only benefits of waking up so early - she was one of the first Gladers awake and got first picks of what she wanted to eat.

Breakfast seemed ordinary to Clara, as if they weren't trapped in the Glade. Bacon, eggs, toast. Clara's mouth watered at the thought of it.

After eating, Nick started to show Clara around the Glade.

"These are the Gardens,"Nick told Clara as they walked around the grassy area to the North East of the Box. "This is where we grow crops. Some Gladers sleep here, since there's not enough room in the Homestead for everyone.Water's also pumped here, since it never rains in the Glade. Never."

Clara nodded.

"Now, this is the Homestead." They walked to the North West of the Glade. "As you already know, we sleep here. At the back of the Homestead, there's the Slammer, which is like our jail."

"Here's the Blood House. It's not exactly the nicest place in the Glade,"Nick said as he showed Clara the large barn at the South East of the Glade. "Livestock are raised and slaughtered here."

"This is what we like to call the Deadheads."Nick showed Clara the small forest. "All we pretty much do here is bury the dead buggers."

"Lovely,"Clara replied sarcastically.

Nick ignored her comment. "In the centre of the Glade, there's a metal elevator we like to call 'the Box'. Once a month, a Greenie arrives with their memory swiped, once a week supplies and clothes arrive. If you would like to request something from the Box, drop a note in it when it comes up again and the creators will send it up if they feel it's a necessity."

"Now, there's only three rules. One : do your part. No slackers. Two : Never hurt another Glader. You have to trust us. Three : Never go outside the Glade, unless you're a runner. Understand?"

"Not quite,"Clara said. "Why can't we go outside of the Glade? What are runners?"

Nick thought for a second before answering. "No point in keepin' it from you, I reckon. Surrounding the Glade, there's a maze. A shucking dangerous one, too."

Clara didn't understand why it was so dangerous, but she didn't ask and nodded instead. "What are runners?"she repeated the question.

"Runners are the Gladers that run the Maze. They map the changes, try to find a way out,"Nick explained.

Clara couldn't think of anything that could possibly be worse than running all day, everyday.

But, in a place like this, maybe running was her only option.

❀✿❀

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Finally a longer chapter... YAY :)

Sooooo, updates should be more frequent since it's almost holiday by my school🤗 YAYYYYYYYYY

Also, I have a few questions about this chapter/ the story so far...

-What do you think of Clara's character so far?

-What would you do if you got woken up the way Clara did?

That's all the questions I could think of, so I guess that's all for now :)

Stay classy, sassy and a bit bad-assy
♡TheFangirlGlader