epilogue

Clara yawned as she got into the small bed pressed against the wall of her and Teresa's shared dorm room. After a two hour long bus ride, their rescuers had taken them to a large building, filled with colours and comfortable beds and food...

It was almost enough to make Clara believe she was truly safe.

Although they had given them food, place to rest and clothes, Clara found it strange that they had everything planned out, down to the gritty details. How had they known how many children there would be? How did they have the exact right amount of beds, and exactly enough food? Clara doubted it was from sheer luck.

Teresa had just taken a shower, and had changed into her new pajamas as she walked into the room. "Isn't this great?" Teresa asked Clara, trying to towel-dry her soaking wet hair.

"Yeah." Clara forced a laugh. "Teresa, don't you think it's a little - I don't know, weird - that they had everything planned out. Everything, Teresa - the amount of food, the beds, the clothes -"

Teresa stopped Clara before she could continue, sitting down next to her, she placed a hand on Clara's and smiled, "Clara, this isn't the Glade. WICKED can't do anything to us anymore. We're safe."

Clara forced another smile. But she still kept watch that night.

They came in the dead of night. Clara was becoming tired, yet as she sat in bed, she kept her eyes open. She could hear the footsteps, and jumped out of bed to the door. Pressing her ear against the door, she could make out the people talking in hushed whispers.

"You have the sedative?" she heard a gruff voice ask.

"Yes, sir."

Clara's eyes widened in fear, and she backed away from the door slowly. Creeping over to Teresa's bed, she shook her awake and whispered, "They're coming. They're coming, Teresa."

"What?" Teresa said, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. But she was already too late - Clara could hear someone turning a key in the lock.

"When I attack them, you go and find the boys, and we run," Clara commanded Teresa, then went to stand by the door, picking up the small lamp on the bedside table.

When the door opened and a man walked in, a sedative in hand, Clara did not hesitate flinging the lamp with all her might at his head.

"No, Clara!" Teresa screamed.

Clara realized that her plan may have been flawed. She had not thought that there would be any other people, but there were. All guards, all with stun-guns and other weapons.

Clara knew she had been shot when she heard Teresa scream for her, and she fell to the ground, numb. She was losing consciousness. She assumed she had just been shot with simply a tranquilizer, because she couldn't feel any hot, sticky blood.

She could only watched as the people dragged Teresa from her bed, although she tried her best to resist. "Clara!" she screamed, trying to hang on to the door. "Clara! Help me!"

But she couldn't. She just lay there, looking up at the sealing. She was slipping away, she knew it. Just as helpless as when Nick died. Just as useless as when Chuck was bleeding out on the floor.

We were never safe, was her last thought before she faded into nothingness.

❀✿❀

END OF BOOK ONE.
THANK YOU FOR READING.