21

Silence flooded the room, and no one dared saying a word.

Clara and Thomas exchanged glances as they sat in shock.

The Council members stood or sat in silence, as shocked as Thomas and Clara were. Newt and Winston finally let go of Minho; all three of them sullenly walked to their chairs and sat down.

"He's finally whacked for good,"Minho whispered.

"Well, you're not the bloody saint in the room,"Newt shot back. "What were you thinking? That was a little overboard, don't ya think?"

Minho was baffled by Newt's question; he squinched up his eyes and pulled his head back. "Don't give me that garbage. Every one of you loved seeing that slinthead get his dues, and you know it. It's about time someone stood up to his klunk."

"He's on the Council for a reason,"Newt told him.

"Dude, he threatened to break my neck and kill Thomas! The guy is mentally whacked, and you better send someone right now to throw him in the Slammer. He's dangerous."

"Maybe he had a good point,"Winston said quietly.

"What?"Minho asked.

"Well... he has been through the Changing - Griever stung him in the middle of the day just outside the West Door. That means he has memories, and he said the Greenie looks familiar. Why would he make it up?"

"Well, I've been through the Changing too!"Clara piped up.

Everyone turned their heads to look at her, and she looked at Newt. He nodded as if to say "go on".

"Yes, I do remember some things about Thomas." She paused, then continued. "And from what I remember, he wasn't bad. I trusted him." She looked at Thomas, then repeated,"I trusted him. I trust him. I always will trust him."

Frypan clapped, then said,"Amen to that!" He then looked at Winston and said,"Winston, did you see what just happened? Gally's psycho. You can't put too much stock in rambling nonsense. What, you think Thomas here is a Griever in disguise?"

"Can I say something now?"Thomas asked, clearly frustrated. "I'm sick of you guys talking like me and Clara aren't here."

Newt glanced at him and nodded. "Go ahead. This bloody meetin' can't be much more screwed up."

"I don't know why Gally hates me,"Thomas started. "I don't care. He seems psychotic to me. As for who I really am, you all know just as much as I do. But if I remember correctly, we're here because of what me and Clara did out in the Maze, not because some idiot thinks I'm evil."

Someone snickered and Thomas stopped talking.

Newt nodded, looking satisfied. "Good that. Let's get this meeting over with and worry about Gally later."

"We can't vote without all the members here,"Winston insisted. "Unless they're really sick, like Alby."

"For the love, Winston,"Newt replied, clearly annoyed. "I'd say Gally's a wee bit ill today, too, so we continue without him. Thomas, Clara, defend yourselves and then we'll take the vote on what we should do with you."

"We didn't do anything wrong,"Thomas began. "All I know is that we saw two people struggling to get inside these walls and they couldn't make it. To ignore that because of some stupid rule seemed selfish, cowardly, and... well, stupid. If you want to throw us in jail for trying to save someone's life, then go ahead."

"Next time we'll laugh, think "fuck you", then go eat some of Frypan's dinner. Sound like a plan?"Clara said sarcastically.

"Here's my recommendation,"Newt said. "You broke our bloody Number One Rule, so you get one day in the Slammer. That's your punishment. I also recommend we elect both of you as Runners, effective the second the meeting's over. You two have proven more in one night than most trainees do in weeks, and in my opinion, Clara is ready to become a Runner now. Oh, and as for you two becoming Keepers, forget it." He looked over at Minho. "Gally was right on that count - stupid idea."