22

"What?"Clara whispered in shock.

"Ya heard me,"Chuck said. "He keeps asking for Thomas."

"Well, come on,"Newt said to Thomas as he grabbed his arm. "No way I'm not going with ya."

"I'm coming too,"Clara stated.

Thomas and Clara followed Newt as they left the Council room and made their way to the Med-House. They went up a staircase that narrowly spiraled. Newt took the first step, then glared at Chuck coldly. "You. Stay."

Chuck nodded, not saying anything, and Clara followed Newt up the stairs as Thomas stayed behind to comfort Chuck. Clara found it harder than usual to walk up the stairs - after all, she had been stung by a Griever just the previous night.

They waited for Thomas at the end of the stairwell, and then walked to a second door. Newt knocked loudly, and from inside, a moan replied.

Newt and Clara stepped into the room, motioning for Thomas to follow.

Clara saw Alby lying weakly on the bed, and Thomas whispered,"Is he asleep?"

"I don't know,"Clara whispered back.

Newt walked over to Alby's bed, and whispered,"Alby." Then, louder, he said,"Alby. Chuck said yiu wanted to talk to Tommy."

Alby's eyes fluttered open. He first looked at Newt, then Clara. Finally, his gaze fell on Thomas. "Yeah,"he muttered.

"Chuck said you were thrashin' around, acting like a loonie,"Newt said. "What's wrong? You still sick?"

"Everything's... gonna change... the girl... Thomas... I saw them." His eyes started to flutter closed. "Don't feel so good."

Clara walked over, next to Newt, and said,"Alby, hey, it's okay. I know what it's like to go through the Changing. But you have to concentrate. What do you mean, Alby? Do you think you can tell us?"

"I wanted Thomas!"Alby snapped, and Clara jumped back in fear at Alby's sudden scream. "I didn't ask for you, Clara! And I didn't ask for Newt either! I asked for Thomas!"

"Fine, ya grouchy shank,"Newt said. "He's right here, talk to him."

"Leave,"Alby commanded.

"No way - I wanna hear."

"Newt. Clara." Alby paused, then said,"Leave. Now."

"But-"Clara protested.

"Out!"Alby sat up and screamed. "Get out!"

Clara sighed, and Newt's face fell in disappoint.

"Don't expect me to kiss your butt when you come sayin' sorry,"Newt said, and stepped into the hallway, Clara following him.

❀✿❀

Clara and Newt stood outside the door to the room where Alby and Thomas were.

Newt was clearly upset, and Clara decided to comfort him,"Newt, are you okay?" When he didn't answer, she took a breath and continued,"I'm sure he doesn't mean what he was saying, I mean, he's just been through the Changing."

"But you weren't like that,"Newt said,"when you woke up from the Changing."

"Maybe us females have a higher pain tolerance,"she shrugged.

"Yeah, maybe,"Newt said sadly. "Maybe you should go, Clara. Go get some rest. You have a lot of work ahead of you, as a Runner."

Clara sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right."