Chapter 4// The truth

Zara's P.O.V.

As I walked in the cafeteria, I immediately went to walk over to sit with Zed. Before I could take 5 steps, Bucky stopped me and grabbed my arm. I saw Zed watching and looked at him for help. Bucky drug me into the hall and pulled me into the art room. I sat down as he started to interrogate me.

" You're either pro cheerleader or pro zombie, decide now" He commanded. What is this a dictatorship?!  He can't tell me what to decide. I don't even wanna do stupid cheer-leading. 

"Fine. Pro zombie. I hate cheer anyway, honestly you were just holding me back and you just set me free to thanks Bucky."  I said with confidence as I went to walk away. He grabbed my arm and just looked at me. 

"What? It's that easy for you to just give up on your life?" He said confused

"Yep. And now I'm moving on." I said, smiling. Bucky  walked across the room, looking at my abstract painting of Zed. I could see Bucky was furious. He looked at the painting for a minuted and smiled. "Bucky, no, please."  I begged.

" Well leaving was so easy for you, doing this will be so easy for me." Bucky said as he picked up the painting and punched right through it. My heart shattered. It took so long to make it perfect, and I was going to give it to Zed tonight but not anymore. I went from upset to pissed, real quick and the next thing I knew, I was running at Bucky and started punching and attacking him. I yelled and yelled until I felt myself being pulled away from Bucky. I looked up to see Zed holding me.

"Bucky leave, and say nothing." Zed said calmly. Bucky nodded, scared for his life, and walked out. I was confused, why would he say nothing. I looked on the ground where I fought Bucky and I saw my wig laying on the ground. Oh shit. I got up out of Zed's grasp and looked at him with fear. What if he rejected me, what if he told everyone, what if-. Zed cut off my thoughts by fixing my actual hair and looking in my eyes.

"Its beautiful, you're beautiful" He said with his goofy smile. I looked at him  for a while before talking.

"My mom was a zombie, my dad had an affair and I was the half zombie bi- product. And then my mom died after the birth so I lived with my dad and his family. I've worn a wig for my whole life, and was hoping that after everyone accepts zombies, I could stop wearing it. And I've been wanting to tell you, but I mean you know now soo......" I trailed off as I picked up my wig. Zed grabbed my shoulder and turned me around to face him. 

" Hey, Zara, look. I don't think any different of you. My opinion of you could never change no matter what." As Zed said. We  held hands and stared into each others eyes. Zed started to lean in and so did I... until the bell rang. We both pulled back and as I put my wig back on, Zed cleaned up the mess I made. 

" I do love the painting Zara." he said, trying to make me feel better.

" Thanks, I made it for you but Bucky had to ruin it." 

"It's okay, you'll have time to make more art, maybe you could even teach me some things." He said as we walked down the hall. 

"I'd love that. Wanna come over my place after school? I can show you some of my other art."  I said. He looked anxious about going to a human household so i decided to hold his hand. " It's okay, no one's gonna be home except my sister." He seemed to relax and agreed. "Okay, meet at the front of the school at the end of the day?"

"Yeah, sounds good." With that, the bell rang signaling we were late. We said our goodbyes and parted ways. only 3 more classes till I saw Zed again. Those were the longest 3 hours of my life. Finally the bell rang at the end of the day and I sprinted out of class, got my stuff out of my locker, and ran to the front of the school. As soon as I got to the front, I saw Zed talking to Bonzo and Eliza, so I walked up to them.

"Hey guys." I said excited to speak to them and not be judged by everyone else. 

"Hey Zara." Eliza said, and Bonzo waved.

"Okay, I'll see you guys later, Shall we?" Zed said looking at me.

"We shall" I said and giggled as we waved to Bonzo and Eliza. We walked to my house, getting some stares but most people were at work so not many people saw. Once we got to my house I opened the door and walked into the kitchen, grabbing Ice cream out of the freezer for Zed and I. Giving him a pint of chocolate brownie ice cream and a spoon, he followed me to my room. I threw my stuff down and turned to see Zed staring in awe at my room. Everyone's rooms in this town were the typical pastel colors, but mine was maroon and gray. My art was scattered on the walls, my huge desk with a vanity mirror sat against a wall and my easel with a canvas was between the 2 windows.

"You like it?" I asked him. He took a second to look at everything and take it in and then he looked at me.

"I love it. Its so creative and different. Whats this?" He said referring to the button next to my closet.

"That is to switch what closet people see. You see I have human clothes and some "zombie" clothes. Sometimes in the summer I go to Zombie Town and hang out. I actually talk to your little sister a lot." I said staring in the mirror. Zed looked at me and then at my desk.

"So you have to wear makeup everyday?" 

"Yep, I have to get up at 5 just to have time to get ready. Its a pain. I'll be right back." I grabbed a gray crop top and black leggings and went into the bathroom to change. When I came back, Zed was looking in one of my sketchbooks. 

"You like what you see?" I said talking about the sketch of him, that he was currently looking at.

" Yeah, its so detailed. How'd you get so good?" He asked.

"Honestly, I just taught myself. Learned from mistakes and got better" As I said this, I sat at my desk looking in the mirror. I saw Zed watch me as I took my wig off and brushed my real hair. When I turned around, he just smiled.

"What?"  I asked, confused.

"Nothing, you're just beautiful." I blushed and sat next to him on my bed. We ate ice cream and talked until I had a random thought.

" Hey Zed?" I aksed

"Yeah?" 

" Did you tell Eliza and Bonzo about me?"

" No, I didn't want to tell them something that wasn't mine to tell." I smiled at this. He respected me and that was really calming.

"Its okay, you can tell them. Hopefully, one day everyone one will know and not care."

"Okay now my turn for a question." He said. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Go for it." I said.

" So zombies wear Z-bands, but do you wear anything?"

" Yeah, I wear this necklace and never take it off. Its basically a Z-band but since I'm only half zombie, it isn't as strong as a Z-band." Zed nodded and I looked at the time." Crap Zed, its almost 8:30, you should get going before you get caught being out after curfew."

" Ughhhh, but I don't wanna leaveeeeeeeee." He whined acting like a 5 year old. I laughed at him as we both got up and I put my wig on. Zed collected his stuff and we walked downstairs. I opened the door and gave Zed a hug goodbye.

" See ya tomorrow Zed" I smiled.

"See ya, Zara" He smiled back and walked down my driveway, disappearing into the darkness. I shut the door and sighed.

"Have fun?" Addison asked making me jump.

" Holy crap, well thanks for scaring me. And don't you start"  I said warning her. She made kissy noises and mocked me until I turned around and started chasing her. She starting yelling when  I caught her and eventually we got bored and stopped. I took a shower, thinking of how perfect this day was and then got dressed for bed. As I lay there, I just hoped that things would stay this good.