Chapter 11 ~ The Breakfast Club

Stiles' P.O.V.     

After everything that happened last night, I was not ready to go back to school. Walking through those halls is just going to remind me of how we all could have been slaughtered by Kali and her stupid twin sidekicks. I also didn't get much sleep last night. Not because of the Alphas, even though experiencing something like that for a second time was more than terrifying. It was Emma. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, I cannot get her out of my mind.

All I can think about is how vulnerable she was last night. Sometimes being surrounded by all of these werewolves makes me forget that, like me, Emma is only human. She can't sprout claws and fangs to defend herself from an Alpha. Seeing her so helpless last night ignited a feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that I was trying really hard to ignore.

It isn't just a feeling that makes me want to protect Emma. Ever since last night, especially after being in her house, I just feel like being with her. Talking to her. Holding her in my arms. Kissing her. .
I have only ever felt this way towards Lydia. She was the only girl I wanted to be with. But lately, I have found myself thinking only of Emma. And now I'm just confused.

I didn't think I could like anyone other than Lydia, but obviously that's not the case. Suddenly, all of my unresolved feelings for her have been pushed aside by these new feelings for Emma, and I don't know what to do about it. Emma is wonderful, but I don't know if I'm ready for this. I know I said that it's time to move on from Lydia, but I didn't think it would happen this fast! I just want her and I to be friends. Nothing more.

As I pulled into the school parking lot, I realized that I was probably overreacting. Whatever I'm feeling towards Emma could just be the result of almost getting killed the night before. Yeah, that's it! We were put into a tough situation last night and I'm just worried about losing one of my dear friends. I don't have feelings for Emma. Problem averted.

Later   

We are halfway through the school day at the moment, and I have not seen Emma once. Not that I was thinking about her. It's just that her absence is very obvious. She's most likely still shaken up after last night. I don't blame her. If Derek hadn't come along, who knows what Aiden would have done. .

Wait, am I actually thankful Derek was there?! Ew.

It was my free period so I was wandering around the halls aimlessly. Usually, I spend this time talking with Scott but he was nowhere to be found. I wonder what he could be up too..

I stopped by my locker to put some books away, then decided to head to the library. As I turned the corner, I happened to pass by the music hall. When I did, I heard one of the prettiest voices, accompanied by a piano, coming from a classroom. When I got closer and peeked through the cracked door, I saw Emma.

Her long black hair cascaded down her back as her fingers danced around the keys with ease, her voice filling the entire room as she sang Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz. The only reason why I recognize the song is because my mom adored that movie and watched it every weekend when she was alive. I used to act as if I hated the movie, but in reality I loved it too. What made it more special was that I got to spend that time with my mom. Just the two of us.

Emma didn't notice me standing by the door until she had finished the song. When she saw me, she flashed that perfect smile of hers and waved me over. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me, before taking a seat next to her on the piano bench.

"I didn't see you all morning," I started. "Where have you been?"

"I overslept and just decided to come in late," Emma responded. "I was debating whether to come in at all, but mom wasn't going to let me stay home, so here I am."