don't go near the water chapter 2

When I got home, my mom was sitting at the kitchen table. She was on the phone with my Aunt Paula, so she didn't even notice me come in. I went up to my room, pulled out my laptop, and started looking up symptoms. I typed in "leg cramps under water" to Google. All that I got was medicine ads. I was about to search something else, but then my mom came upstairs. I closed my laptop and hid it. "Hi mom" "Hi sweety. How was Julie's?" "It was fun." "What did you guys do?" "Oh you know, what we always do. Drink soda, order pizza, eat candy, play video games, play truth or dare..." "That sounds fun. What time did you fall asleep?" "3 a.m." "Oh, honey! Go back to bed!" "Ok, mom." I climbed into my bed and she came over to hug me. "Honey, you smell like chlorine." "We passed through the pool room on the way to a class. It's a shortcut to math." "Oh alright honey. Goodnight." "Goodnight." I fell asleep two minutes later and had a freaky dream. I dreamt that I was a mermaid and I was living in the ocean. And then a scientist came and killed me. When I woke up, I laughed at myself. No way mermaids are real. And if they are, there's no way that I'm one. 

I went downstairs to get some food. That dream made me hungry for some strange reason. When I went to the kitchen, there was a note on the table: Honey, took your brother to an appointment. Be back soon. Call if you need anything. Love, mom. Well, that meant I had the whole house to myself for a while. I made myself some pasta and went into the living room to eat it. When I was done, I went upstairs to take a shower. I turned on the water and got in. When I was washing my hair, I slipped and fell on my butt. It hurt. I wanted to start crying, considering how bad it hurt. But I didn't. I looked around for my phone so I could call my mom to tell her. But my phone was in my room, charging. Great. Now what was I supposed to do? I sat there in the empty tub, in pain, thinking. I touched the faucet, which made baths. It instantly turned on. I didn't even pull the lever to turn it on. It just turned on. And the water kept getting deeper and deeper. I was kind of scared. But then I thought 'if it turns on with me touching it, maybe it turns off the same way'. So I touched it, and it turned off. What was going on with me?

About 15 minutes later, I heard a 'Hello'? from downstairs. "Mom?" "Elsa?" "Mom! I need help!" "Where are you?" I could hear her rushing around the house looking for me. "Upstairs! In my bathroom!" she ran upstairs so quickly that I didn't even have time to think about grabbing the towel which was on the toilet. "Elsa? What happened?" she looked scared for her life. "I was washing my hair and then I slipped and fell." "Well, what hurts?" "My ankle, my leg, and my butt." "Ok, let's get you out of there and I'll take you to the doctor." she grabbed the towel, wrapped it around me, and helped me hop to my room to get dressed. My brother had no clue what was going on. The only thing my mom told him was to get in the car. He asked if he could have shotgun and she said no. And that was the end of that. She helped me to the car, and I buckled in on my side and she got on her side. I almost forgot my brother was there. "Hey Elsa! Guess what I got today?" "I don't know, Cody. What did you get?" "Turn around!" I turned around and he flashed me a huge smile. He had braces. "Cool" "Elsa, what happened?" "I fell down. And now there's a lot of pain." "Oh." 

It was about a 5 minute drive from our house to the doctor. We used to live farther, but Cody is clumsy and is always getting hurt. We walked into the doctor's office. The lady at the front desk instantly recognized us and thought it was Cody who needed help today. But no, it was me. She was surprised to find that out. She gave my mom the "why are you here/what's wrong" forms and my mom helped me hop over to a chair. She wasn't even done filling out the forms when the doctor came out. "Cody, what happened now?" "Actually, Dr. June, it's Elsa that needs help." she looked at me and smiled. "Oh, Elsa. Come on back!" my mom helped me get to the room, and Cody came with us. We didn't want him destroying anything. We did the usual checkup stuff, like height, weight, blood pressure, temperature and heart beat. And when that was over we got to the real problem. "Ok, Elsa, what seems to be the problem today?" I took the ice wrap off of my ankle that my mom had put on it. It had swollen up like a balloon. "Woah, sweetie! What happened?" "I fell in the shower." Cody started laughing. I glared at him. "You have no room to laugh here, Mr. Broke His Arm three times." that shut him up. "Ok, well is your ankle the only thing that hurts?" "No. My leg and bottom also hurt." she tried to find a break in my leg. There wasn't. "Ok, here's the good news. No broken leg. Just a severely sprained ankle. You don't play sports right?" "Well I play volleyball." "I mean spring sports." "No ma'am." "Ok. Well I'm going to give you this boot to wear so you don't do any more harm to your ankle." "Ok." and then I remembered I would need a doctor's note for next week in PE. "Oh, Dr. June? Can I have a doctors note for PE? We need one even if something bad happened to us." "What's next week in PE?" "Swimming." "Ok. Well here's a note, and my number so if they have any problems they can call me. I want you back in in a couple weeks so I can check your ankle ok?" "Yes Doctor." "Have a good day, Elsa!"

When we got home, I hobbled up to my room. I grabbed my phone and texted Sal.

Me: guess who sprained her ankle

Sal: you?

Me: yes

Sal: how?

Me: falling in the shower

Sal: I'm sorry. Do you need anything?

Me: not at the moment, but I'll let you know if I think of anything.

Sal: ok. Oh hey, I gotta go to my brother's soccer game. I'll text you later.

Me: bye, Sal.

 I put my phone down. I got under the covers of my bed and took the boot off. She didn't say I had to wear it in bed. I got a book out and started reading, and, not two minutes later, my mom was in my room again. "Hey, sweetie, how's your ankle?" "Well, it's seen better days." "I brought you some hot chocolate and some pain meds. Don't take the medicine until you finish your hot chocolate, ok?" "Ok." she handed me a pink mug and put three pills on my nightstand. "Let me know if you need anything, ok?" "Ok, mom." She hugged me and left. I fell asleep right after I finished the hot chocolate and took the medicine, but this time I didn't have a dream. But I woke up to my phone ringing. 

The caller ID read Josh- my boyfriend. He was on vacation with his family so this is the first time I've heard from him in a week. 

"Hey Josh!"

"Hey Els"

"How's vacation going?"

"You think it would be going good, but since I'm here with family and not with you, not so good."

"I'm sorry. When do you get back?"

"Tomorrow. I'll be back at school on Wednesday."

"Ok."

"Oh, hey Els, I gotta go. I love you."

"I love you too."

And then he hung up. I know I should have told him about the sprained ankle and everything that was going on with the water. We don't keep things from each other. But since I wasn't entirely sure what was going on yet, I wasn't going to tell anyone until I knew.