don't go near the water! chapter 5

I called Julie as soon as I got home. I got her voice mail, so I decided to start on homework until she called back. I was trying to put the kiss from Toby as far back in my mind as possible. Julie called back about 10 minutes later. 

"Hello?"

"Hey Els"

"Hey Jules"

"Did you need something? You usually only call if you need something"

"Well I don't need this, but it's a question, and I wasn't able to ask it because I didn't talk to you after school."

"Speaking of that, where were you after school?"

"Talking to Toby"

"Oh ok. So what's your question?"

"Can Josh come to the lake house?"

"Of course! The more, the merrier!"

"Great!" and then my phone started beeping as if I had another call. I looked to see if I recognized the number, but I didn't. "Hey Jules, I gotta go."

"Ok. Bye!"

I called the number back. After a few rings the person answered.

"Hey Elsa."

"Toby?"

"Yep."

"Do you need something?"

"No. Just wanted to make sure you didn't give me a fake number" he chuckled.

"No. I would never do that to a merman!" I smiled, even though he couldn't see it.

"Hey watch the sarcasm."

"Sorry. Well, hey I gotta go do homework. I'll talk to you later. Bye!"

"Bye."

We hung up and I saved his number to my contacts. I went back to doing homework. The rest of the night was pretty normal. Dinner, talk about the day. Cody got a black eye in gym today. I told her about me staying with Julie the first week of summer while her parents were in Florida. I told her about almost everything except Toby. I showered and went to bed after dinner. I had a dream about Toby.

dream sequence

"Toby, what are we doing? Why is it so dark?" "They don't let us see the sun anymore" he said without turning back to face me. We were under water. But he had a tail and I didn't, but I could breathe under water. "Who? Who's they?" and then I heard a rumbling from the ocean floor. I saw the creatures coming at me. Toby wasn't strong enough to fight them off. I tried to fight them off but then they killed Toby.

_ _

"NO TOBY!" I yelled as I woke up. I sat up, and I was sweating. Luckily, since I was on the top floor and my mom and brother were on the bottom floor, I didn't wake them up. I looked at my clock and it said 3:00. Too early to be awake. I didn't want to go back to sleep after that dream. I decided to text Toby. 

Me- Toby, help. Freaky dream. Can't get it out of my head.- Elsa

Toby- what was the dream?

Me- we were under water, it was dark. You had a tail, I didn't, but I could still breathe under water. I asked why it was so dark, and you said they don't let us see the sun anymore. When I asked who, a rumbling came from the ocean floor and there were creatures coming at us. They killed you. 

Toby- Elsa, what happened after that?

Me- I woke up. I yelled your name, and I was scared. My heart was racing and I was sweating.