Chapter 15: As Night Falls

"No," he wraps his arms around me, drawing me tight against him, "stay with me, not just for now, for forever."

And I want to say yes, but I have to leave tonight...

"I won't..." I choke out, "we're getting married. We'll spend the rest of our lives together."

"Are you lying right now?"

"What? No!"

He chuckles. "That's why I love you. You're the most open and truthful person I know." My heart drops. 

"You love me?" I whisper.

"Yes, I love you."

"I love you too."

"Never leave me."

"I won't."

He stares at me, silent. My entire body tenses up. Does he know I'm lying?

"Good," he finally says, his voice husky. Before I'm able to react, his lips are on mine, hungry and hard. Knowing that this is our last kiss, I give him all I have: all my longing, my sadness, my frustration, my love for him.

When I finally pull back for air, I'm gasping and dizzy. I start to sit up, but he pulls me back down, trapping me between the sheets and his body.

"Don't go," he orders, sliding his hand underneath my dress and up my inner thigh. 

I shiver in pleasure as his hands make their way up up to my breasts. The thought of what I'm about to do tonight is still hanging in the back of my mind. "Edward-" I start to say, but he cuts me off with a kiss.

"Shhh," he says against my lips and begins to tug at my dress.

"What are you doing-oh my god!" I laugh when the dress rips into half. He tosses my dress away and unbuckles his pants. "You ripped my dress!" 

"You are so so beautiful," he whispers, staring down at me. He trails kisses down my forehead, my lips, my breasts and onto my belly. "My love," he moans against my bare skin, "my queen, my wife. I want you to be the mother of my children."

"Then what are you waiting for?" I say and our lips meet with renewed urgency. I melt into his touch, his body, wanting to get as close as possible. I forget all about what I'm supposed to do tonight.

—————————

I stand outside Edward's room and feel tears sting the back of my eyes. Taking a deep, shaky breath, I place my farewell letter and princess Catherine's journal at his door.

Dear Edward,

    I am sorry for writing this in a letter instead of confessing to you in person, but I just cannot bring myself to do it. 
    I'm not princess Catherine. I am no princess or even remotely royal. I think the right word is commoner?
    My real name is Natalie, and I am a girl from the twenty first century. It is a time far far away from you. The journal I left with you will explain everything. I am sorry I lied to you. I will not ask for your forgiveness. I just want one thing. I hope you stop blaming yourself for what happened in the past and move forward. I want you to know that I truly love you, and that you are worthy of being loved. You are a wonderful person, king, and man. The real princess will return to you soon. Please be happy together.

Love,
Natalie Reeds

———————————

"Did anyone see you?" Calchantis asks me as he hands me a bowl of porridge. We're sitting in the living room of the cottage that apparently belongs to his friend.

"I was too afraid to look when I got into the carriage," I admit.

"Oh, well," he gulps down a spoonful of porridge, "let's just hope the king doesn't come looking for you."

I stare at the ground. "He won't come."

Calchantis seems to hear the sadness in my voice and changes the subject. "So is there anything you want to do before you leave?"

See him one last time. "No."

"Alright then," Calchantis squeezes my shoulder gently, "I'm going back to the palace. But I'll be back before the meteor shower tomorrow night. Get some sleep and don't leave this cottage."

I nod. "Goodnight, Calchantis, and thank you."