Chapter 16: More Lies

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside in the cottage garden and the feeling of cold tears on my cheeks.

    My first thought is: I miss him.

Someone bangs on the door and I groan. Must be Calchantis. "Hold on!" I shout as I run down the stairs and throw the large wooden door open.

    I gasp. It's Edward, looking more dashing than ever in a white tunic and black velvet pants.

    My heart lurches. "Edward," I whisper, "wha-what are you doing here?"

   "I read your letter and the journal. Is everything true?"

    "Yes..." I fumble with my messy hair and cotton nightgown. "Um...why are you here?"

    "Oh, Catherine," he grabs me around the waist and draws me close against his chest, "how I've missed you." He kisses me on the head and sighs. "It took me so long to find you."

   "Sorry..." I try to pull back, but he keeps his arms locked around me."Don't try to escape. I won't let you leave me, ever," he growls. "You are mine."

    "But I'm not princess Catherine."

    "I don't care. The girl I love is you."

     "What are you saying?" I bite my lower lip until I taste blood on the tip of my tongue. "How did you even find me?"

     "A palace guard saw you leaving in a carriage last night."

     "Okay..."

     "So, what I want to say is that I don't care who you are, or even if the story you're selling me is real or fake. I don't care about anything. I just want you."

     "Im sorry, but I can't be with you." I yank myself out of his embrace. "This is more than just what you want."

       He stumbles back, looking hurt. "And you don't want me? Tell me... what do you want?"

       "I want you too," my voice cracks, "but we were never meant to be. We never should have met. I have to go back. If I don't, something bad will happen...to everyone."

       Edward cocks an eyebrow. "So, us being together will destroy the world. Is that what you're saying?"

       I nod, "yes."

       "But why? We're just a man and a woman in love. What's so wrong with that?"

         I laugh bitterly. "If only it were that simple."

        "Tell me what the problem is, and I'll fix it."

         I point at his crown. "You are a king. That's the problem. Would you give up your crown for me?"

           He responds without hesitation. "Gladly."

          A knot begins to expand in my throat. How do I get him to leave? If I don't get him out soon, I feel like I'll choose to stay.

          As if on cue, Calchantis steps in, looking horrified. "What is he doing here?" he demands, glaring at Edward.

          "You're not sending her back," Edward snaps at Calchantis, "as your king, I command you not to send her back."

          "I'm sending her back because it's the right thing to do."

         "I don't care."

          "I know you don't believe in my visions," Calchantis says, his voice low and dangerous, "but I'm telling you, if she stays, there will be a flood of blood and death within England."

         "I don't care."

         "Are you willing to risk her life too?"

         Edward glances back at me. Our eyes meet for a brief second and a torrent of emotions hit me right in the chest: excitement, pain, joy, longing. He faces Calchantis again. "Alright then, send me back with her."

            "Okay," I slip my hand into Edward's, "let's go back together."

            He beams at me, "really?"

            "Of course."

That's why I love you. You're the most open and truthful person I know.
——————
Los Angeles. 21st century. 2 months later

    I pick up the pregnancy test and nearly faint. A large red positive sign is glaring up at me. 

   "Oh, Edward," I whisper.