10

Maryam was seated in the living room watching a TV show, when she heard the sound of a car entering her compound, followed by the sound of the doorbell ringing. "Who could that be?" She wondered.

"Nafisa," she yelled and she appeared before her within seconds.

"Yes?"

"Check who is at the door," she ordered.

Nafisa nodded. "Okay.*

She sauntered to the door and twist the knob and opened the door. Her brows furrowed as she sighted a middle aged woman — a woman she had never seen before. 

"Good afternoon, how may I help?" She questioned.

"Good afternoon to you too," the replied sarcastically.

"Who are you?" Nafisa asked in arude manner. The unknown woman was agitating her with her presence. She still had lots of work in the kitchen to do.

"I am—"

"Who is there, Nafisa?" Maryam inquired from the living room. She had heard Nafisa talking to someone, but her words were incoherent to her hearing. She stood up and went to have a look for herself. Her eyes widened in surprise and her lips curved into a smile. "Mum!!" she squealed and embraced her. "Please come in. Why didn't you allow her in, Nafisa?" Maryam questioned, throwing a glare at her.

"I didn't—"she began to speak, but was cut off by Maryam.

"It's fine. Bring her luggage inside," she ordered. "Let's go upstairs, mum."

Maryam led Hajiya Aisha, her mother in law to her room.

"Why didn't you inform us you were coming today? Maryam asked as they got into the room. "I would have prepared all of your favorite dishes beforehand."

Aisha smiled — she didn't doubt the things she said, for she always did, whenever she visited. She was more like a daughter to her than a daughter in law and she respected her a lot.

"I wanted to surprise you all...where is Sa'eed?" She inquired.

"He's not back from work yet and he won't be back till later in the evening," she responded.

Aisha heaved a sigh. "When will he be back?"

"Around 7:00pm to 8:00pm," she replied. She wanted to just call him on phone and ask him to return home earlier, but she decided against it. She knew he would be busy with work. She didn't want to be of disturbance to him.

Nafisa came in with Hajiya Aisha's  luggage. Wirelessly, she dropped them beside the bed and walked out.

"I don't recognise that girl," hajiya voiced.

"Oh Nafisa? I forgot to introduce her to you. She's our new maid." She responded.

"Maid?" Hajiya asked, her voice laced with surprise.

"You sound surprise. It's not as if I  don't have a maid before. Besides, I need one to help out with the house chores and to babysit Manal.  She was hired just recently and she's really very hardworking and well behaved," Maryam praised. She face palmed as realization suddenly hit her.  "Forgive me for rambling, I totally forgot get you something to eat—"