18

Nafisa heaved a satisfactory sigh as her wish had finally came true. She did as she promised and paid their bills. They ordered in excess and Nafisa didn't complain. She made it known to them it was alright and nothing should prevent them from picking whatever they liked.

"I still don't know your names yet," Nafisa voiced out.

"Oh that! I'm Aysha," the girl she assumed to be the leader of the clique said, then pointed to one of the girls. " she's Zahra and she's Yasmeen," she introduced.

"Wow! You guys have beautiful names. I love it," Nafisa smiled, genuinely.

"I know right," Aysha smirked.

The girls hanged out together throughout the recess and got to know more about Nafisa - the lies she fed them about herself.

"My parents are currently abroad. I don't like it there, so I decided to come back to Nigeria to stay with my mother's sister, my aunt  because she practically begged me to," Nafisa lied. Her lips curled up in a smile when she noticed the girls looking at her attentively. They bought her lies.

"Do you plan on going back any time soon?" Zahra asked.

"I haven't thought about it yet, but maybe after my secondary school," Nafisa replied.

"Cool," Yasmeen commented.

"Where exactly are your parents living...I mean the country," Ayesha asked.

Nafisa swiftly thought of another lie to come up with and she did, as usual.

"Cyprus-" she blurted.

"Really? Cyprus? What a coincidence! My uncle lives there too, with his family-" Ayesha interrupted. "- in Limassol. which city or town do your parents live in?"

Nafisa felt her breath hitched in her throat. She didn't know of any city or town in Cyprus. What was she going to say now? Her lie would definitely be exposed now - she panicked.

"Nafisa?" Ayesha called.

"Ye...yes," she stuttered.

"I asked you a question," Ayesha raised a brow questionably. Nafisa was acting weird. Yasmeen and Zahra thought so too.

"I...," fortunately for her, before she could finish what she was about to say and make a fool of herself, the bell rang, signaling it was time to go back to class. It was her cue to make them forget all they were discussing and escape.

"I think we should go back to class right now, we can continue our discussion later on," Nafisa proposed.

They all agreed and went back to class.

Zeenat sighted her friend and went over to her.

"What delayed you from coming back sooner?" She inquired. She had been waiting for her to return, but apparently, she totally forgot about her.

"I was with my friends," Nafisa said and took her seat beside Zeenat. She would make sure to change her seat to the girls corner soon - she mental noted.

"Your friends?" Zeenat asked, astonished. When did she make new friends? Perhaps when she was not in school yesterday. "- you have new friends? Who are they?"

"Ayesha, Yasmeen and Zahra," Nafisa answered, confidently.

Zeenat was surprised by what she just learnt and didn't bother hiding it from Nafisa. She needed to tell her friend the kind of people her new friends - as she claimed are.

"Stay away from them, Nafi, they are bad news," Zeenat started.

Nafisa glared at her with fury. "How dare you say that about my friends? They. Are. My. Friends," she enunciated each word clearly to deliver her message well. Who was she to talk about them in that way?