True Friendship

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Part Two - True Friendship <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The sun struggled, having a battle with the dark grey clouds, trying its hardest to shine through patches in the endless grey sky, on that chilly London morning. Carlotta was walking to school like she always did, as she only lived a few blocks away from Hillingdon High School. She snuggled her head further into the depths of her hood, putting her hands deep in her pockets. Her breath created little puffs of smoke, and she always obtained a bit of amusement from that.

"Hey, Carla." A soft voice said, and at the sound, Carlotta turned around. Besides her family, no-one ever called her that, except....

"It's a bit chilly today, isn't it? If I had known better, I would've brought my jacket." Hayden said, grimacing. Today he was dressed in the boy's uniform, a non-regulation scarf wrapped tightly around his neck.

"Hola, Hayden," Carlotta said, smiling slightly at the sight of his bare arms. "Your mother will not be pleased."

"Yeah, I know, I can only hope I don't catch my death 'cause of this cold."

"Si. Next time, you must bring a jacket." Carlotta said. Then, remembering something, she pulled him over to the side of the pavement, looked around to make sure no-one was listening.

"Carla, what is it?" Hayden asked, noticing the worried look in her eyes.

"Ay, I was wondering, what happened? When tu told your mother, about, you know?"

Recognition flashed in his eyes, and then Hayden lowered his head, shifting his weight around, looking distinctly uncomfortable.

"Oh, Hayden, que pasando? Are you alright?" Carla cried, entirely forgetting to keep her voice low.

"Shh, Carla, I'm fine," Hayden said, putting a finger to her lips. Then, lowering his hand, he began to explain in a barely audible voice, so Carlotta had to strain her ears to hear.

"I took your and the counsellor's advice, and I went and told my mother, last night, in fact."

"Y?" Carlotta prompted, eyes wide.

"Luckily, my brother was at a friend's house, and Dad was working a night shift, so I had my mother to myself. We had a comfortable night together, made popcorn, and watched a movie. After that, when she was comfortable and relaxed, I told her."

"Que was her reaction?" Carlotta asked, fearing the worst.

"She was very confused at first, but I went through it with her, patiently explaining, and told her I had been like this for several years now. And then.."

"Si???"

"She turned to me and smiled. She said, Honey, if that's who you are, and you're comfortable and safe in it, I don't mind at all. I'll love you for who you are, always!"

Carlotta's eyes widened, and without thinking, she gave Hayden a big hug, a huge smile on her face.

"Fantastico!" She cried, eyes alight with joy. "That's very good."

Hayden smiled, and gently eased himself from her grasp. "Thank goodness for you, Carlotta. Without you, I wouldn't be the person I am today."

"No," Carlotta said, looking deep into those deep brown eyes of his. "That person, there, always. You just needed help, to break it out of that, how you say, er, shell?"

"Exactly, Carla. You got it in one." Hayden smiled. "Thanks to you, I can now be the person I always was. Genderfluid Hayden. Goes by Hayden sometimes, and Halley other times."