| Chapter 4 | Vanilla Shortbread

Lars' POV
~
Three days have passed since the mystery gem-human showed up, and they're still not awake.

And, to say the least, I'm starting to wonder if they'll EVER wake up.

I've been starting to question where my priorities are. I'm not sure if that really makes sense, but what I mean is... I-I don't even know if I should really...BE here, with Gem Person, and not out in space, fighting Homeworld and the like.

The only reason I'm here is because of them. And...If they're dead, this is time I could've used to put in end to my friend's suffering.

I don't know, I've just been really conflicted.

It's also really been difficult, considering the fact that I haven't even had one conversation with this person, and I feel...kind of attracted to them, I-I don't know. I just...I want to give up on them, because I feel like there's no hope, but at the same time...
I feel a strong connection between us. Like we were meant to meet, I guess.

Even though it's really cliché.

So here I am, In Steven's kitchen. Alone. Well, not really alone. The Gem Person was on the couch just a few feet from me... but I felt alone.

I had been stress baking for the past few days. It's what I do when I'm, well, stressed. It's a bad habit, but Steven and his gem moms seem to enjoy my cooking, which I guess is a plus.

I was in the middle of baking my vanilla bean shortbread cookies when I saw it. I was caught off guard to say the least, but at the same time... relieved.

Their eyes. Their bright, wonderful eyes.

I dropped the cookie sheet and recoiled as they sat up, the cookies spilling across the tile floor. Their eyes seemed to be unfocused as they stared at me, blankly, processing.
"U-U-Uh..." I stammered, trying to gather my words, and my cookies. "Oh my stars, your actually alive, Wow! Uh..."

I felt my face flush as they cocked a brow, seeming to be a bit more present then they were a few seconds ago. "Why are you stuttering..?" They asked softly, like melted chocolate spilling from their soft lips.
"Wait...who are you...?"
And, as I thought of that metaphor, blood literally started dropping from their mouth. (well, their lip).

"Maybe don't open your mouth quite yet," I quickly responded, grabbing a nearby cloth and handing it to them, trying to stop the blood from seeping out. "Chill out for a second, and I'll tell you everything you need to know."

They looked at me curiously, mostly out of pure confusion, and stayed quiet. I felt guilty silencing them, but it was the only way I could stop them from feeling pain. And I wanted to prevent that as much as possible.

"Aren't you...? That boy...That boy who..." The gem asked, furrowing their eyebrows, obviously trying to recall something from their foggy memory. "The one who escaped from Homeworld! The off-color!"

"In the flesh. Also, I just told you...Never mind. I guess it doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm Captain Lars, but people around here just call me Lars. I found you washed up on the beach or something so... I brought you here. I kind of hoped that you wouldn't mind...?"

"You kind of saved my life, so I guess I don't really mind..." They responded, glancing back up at Lars, a bit flustered. "My name's (Y/N)...and... I was a mistake, I suppose."

"How could you be a mistake...? You're..." I paused. I had to remember to keep my cool... I can't go out proclaiming my love for them out of the blue. I don't even know if it's love yet! Who am I to know what love is?! "You seem like a nice person, from what I've seen."

"I...I'm not even really a gem, though. I'm this weird hybrid thing. I don't even know... Well, why am I telling this to you?" They respond, leaning back onto the couch, their face puzzled as they try to gather themselves, clearly not ready to talk about a topic like that.

"You don't have to. I can just...um...be over here, making cookies. But um...my friend Steven wanted to know where you came from so... If you could tell me when you're ready, that'd be great."

Their eyes lit up a bit at the mention of cookies.

"Can I have a cookie?"

I felt my heart skip a beat for just a moment as they looked at me with a cute little smirk.

"Once I finish the next batch."

//okay so I won't give an excuse for making this chapter so HECKIN late
But I will start on the next chapter and try to get it out TODAY if not EARLY TOMORROW. If I don't I will literally give you my left leg//