Chapter 7 - Memory

Arnav was not happy, not at all.

Khushi had told him that she was inviting only Garima and Payal. In front of him were half a dozen of people – Garima, Payal; accompanied by an older woman and 3 girls.

He was just getting accustomed to the idea of sharing space with 1 human. He was not ready to passively tolerate 6 of them. He so badly wanted to make them go away but he'd promised Khushi that he'd be on his best behavior.

She looked so joyful at the arrival of the guests. She was multi-tasking between cooking in the kitchen and chatting with them. The house, filled with chatter and laughs, had a different ambience today – one that Arnav hadn't felt in a long time.

He was surprised that Khushi was able to convince Garima and Payal, especially Payal to come. He did notice Payal getting jumpy sometimes and Garima would whisper to her, "There's no problem, not now. Look at Khushi living so normally." Payal would nod, trying to relax herself.

Khushi had also said that the guests were invited for lunch. It was half past 5 in the evening and none of the humans seemed ready to leave. 3 of them had snuggled comfortably in the sofa and the remaining three on the chairs.

Khushi went to the bedroom to get something when Arnav seized the chance to talk to her.

He remembered Khushi had asked him to take permission before entering her bedroom. A knock would catch the attention of the other humans so, standing at the door, he called out, "May I enter your room?"

His voice startled Khushi who was fishing for something in a drawer. He hadn't made his presence felt since the morning, so as not to get in her way. Did she forget he existed too?

"What is it?" Khushi whispered, lest the humans sitting in the next room hear her. Taking it as an affirmation he entered the room and walked to her.

"You said 2 people only. You said lunch." He stated, trying not to sound grouchy.

Khushi whispered again, "I can't make them leave if they are enjoying. It's not like I have anything else to do?"

"How's entertaining strangers a source of enjoyment?" Arnav asked, perplexed, "They are sitting with their feet up on your couch, and table; making a mess in the kitchen, piling up dirty plates in the sink – which you'll have to clean."

She folded her arms across her chest and huffed, "I am not having this argument with you. You promised me you'd behave."

"I am!" Arnav felt he sounded like a petulant child.

"We'll talk later," Khushi's voice was low, "Just... stay on the balcony maybe?" she offered.

The house was the size of a pigeonhole. It's not like the balcony would provide him any respite.

Suddenly he felt his spine stiffen. There was someone in the room with them. "Khushi," he warned and both of them turned to face the door.

Payal was standing at the door, a bowl of ice cream in her hand and confusion on her face. "Whom are you talking to?" she asked pointedly.

Khushi let out a nervous laugh, "No one! I was just... thinking out loud," she lied.

Payal seemed to accept the answer. Arnav realized the girl had something more to say.

Payal glanced at the drawing room, once ensured that her family had not taken notice of her and Khushi in the bedroom, she spoke in a low whisper, "I heard you had a scene with Shyam yesterday?"

"It's all under control," Khushi assured her.

Payal didn't look satisfied; "I'd advise you against interacting with him. He is not a good person. I have known him since I was a child... we were friends once. Not anymore. He's gone down a bad path. Just avoid him – don't engage with him."