Chapter 14 - Dream

Khushi was on sick leave from office for 2 days. Yesterday Arnav had almost smothered her in what was his version of 'caring for someone.' It was a bit too much for her but her health did improve. She secretly credited him, for some of the improvement; though not out loud lest he resume his duties seriously again.

It was the night before she rejoined office the next day. Seeing her in better health had made him relax and stop hovering over her. She would thank him whole-heartedly once she was back to her daily routine - starting tomorrow. Any show of gratefulness now would make him fuss again.

She had eaten her dinner and taken the medicines. After resting for 2 days straight, she didn't have much sleep in her but the medicines would make her groggy soon. She sat up on the bed with her back resting on the headboard. It was 11 pm.

Arnav was sitting on the chair near her bed reading a book - it had become somewhat of a permanent spot for him since the past 2 days.

"What are you reading?" she asked.

He looked up from the book, to the small clock on her bed stand, "You should be sleeping. It's late."

She rolled her eyes, "I will, in sometime. You have been reading that so intently."

"This," he placed a bookmark and shut the book, "I found this underneath your bag. It's a murder mystery and quite interesting."

"This is the unpublished novel from work. I was supposed to be editing this," she replied, "Will you read aloud? I am getting bored."

"Okay," he responded and turned to the first page about to start when she cut in, "Come and sit here," she patted the area on the bed next to her.

He obliged, and she shifted a little on the small bed to make space for him. He rested his back on the wall, next to her and started reading. Khushi closed her eyes, listening to voice. There was a softness to it. Arnav was reading to her like one would to a kid. He would modulate his voice as per the plot and while reading the dialogues.

Khushi pressed her lips, trying not to grin. She didn't want to make him conscious and she was enjoying they way he read. His voice was soothing and some 20 pages later, she found herself drifting to sleep.

She rested her head on his shoulder and for a second, he stopped reading.

"Go on," she prodded him softly. He resumed reading, but she could hear a shift in his tone. Like his mouth is speaking out the words but his mind his somewhere else.

---------

Her head was leaning against his shoulder and Arnav's stomach was doing somersaults. He tried hard to focus on the words but it was getting more and more difficult, given their proximity.

Some pages later, she had snuggled in closer to him, the space between them which had existed in the start was now filled, with their legs lightly touching one another's.

Arnav took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly. He continued reading even when her arm snaked around his. After some time, she was no longer moving. She had fallen asleep, it seemed, snuggled comfortably against him.

He sat still, not wanting to disturb her. Warmth radiated from her tiny frame. This felt nice, this felt like... peace.

"Khushi," Arnav whispered, so as not to startle her, "you should sleep properly on the bed."

"Mmhmm..." she muttered in her sleep, shifting slightly.

He put his hand on her shoulder, "Khushi," he whispered, shaking her shoulder, very lightly.